Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Built Your Blackstone Into Your Egg Table??

Options
I have been drawing up plans for an outdoor kitchen table. I have been thinking about building my Blackstone into my table, centered with my Larges on either side. 

My concerns are 1) it being in the elements (I am building a roof but it's still out a lot and 2) Has anyone made or bought a lid to cover it? 

It would be convenient to use that space as a prep area and then take a lid off and use it when I want to. 

Pics and advice would be appreciated!!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Fastfish
    Options
    I don't have any pictures. Very interesting idea! Please post if you end up doing this
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Killit_and_Grillit, I am also looking to do something similar to you.  I'm planning to add a shed onto a small outbuilding behind our house here on the farm.  Intend to build my M and XL into a table on the long side.  Would also like to be able to build in the Blackstone my son and DIL got me for Christmas.  And I would like to be able to cover it when not in use so that area can be used as work surface.  I have a piece of 4' x 12' stainless sheet located I need to pick up to use for the top.  Just need to figure out the arrangement now.  If you get any good ideas, please post, I could use the help.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Bump for the Monday morning bored at work crowd

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @FarmerTom I was thinking of a stainless steel top as well. Just for the elements, weight in case of wind, and ease of cleaning. I'm gonna head down to my buddy's shop this weekend and see if we can't get some redneck engineering going. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Make sure to allow for clearance from a combustible surface. These are made for outdoor use and the clearance will be more than other cooking equipment. Check the serial number plate to see if it has that clearance info.
  • plandreth
    Options
    Love my blackstone as well. If it were built into my egg table, and I spent any more time outside cooking, theres gonna be a mad blonde chick at my house! 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Tspud1 I plan on leaving the center open and ventilated and raise it high enough to reach the knobs so it will have plenty of area to breathe.  My thoughts were simply to frame it in. 

South of Nashville, TN

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I have a similar Griddle on my deck with a cover over it that I bought when I bought the Griddle. I clean mine off well and then coat it with canola oil to keep it from rusting between uses. It has been working fine for me so far.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @GaryLange I also want to use it as a prep area so I would like to cover it just to put pots, pans, cooked food, etc on. 

South of Nashville, TN

• GaryLange
    Options
    You could build it in and then build a cover from would and and seal it from weather then set pots etc. on top of that. I always felt where there is a will there is a way.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you're talking about the griddle, a helluvalotta heat pours out around the cooking surface.  That's the exhaust.  So a wood table would probably be out.
    I just finished an outdoor patio/kitchen area where I built in my new Blackstone, as well as my XL BGE.  Guys finished work on Friday so I haven't even had a chance to post pics on the forum yet (which I plan to do).  Anyhow, the Blackstone is surrounded with Durock cement board, covered with travertine tile, with ample air space for ventilation, and seems to be fine heat-wise.  I have grand plans to have someone fabricate a stainless steel cover for it, but in the meantime purchased a soft cover for a 36" built-in grill.  It's a little too big but does the job of keeping water off for now.  For those that are interested I will follow-up with outdoor kitchen details on a separate post later this week.  I agree with above responses that you don't want any flammable material near the Blackstone.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @jdkeithbge if you don't mind tag me in that so I don't miss it. 

@nolaegghead my plan was to elevate it quite a bit. You have to be able to get to the knobs anyways so it needs to sit at least 8-10 inches above the vented area. 

South of Nashville, TN

• GaryLange
    Options
    Just thinking about this again and wonder if you could mount the Griddle on a platform with a cover that when opened it would raise the griddle up out of the table to allow the ventilation to operate as if it was stand along unit. Then when closed it would be a level surface for the table.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    make sure the area around it is easily cleaned, they can throw alot of grease spatter. mine sits outside year round on an old freezer chest, that white top shows up the grease
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    If you're talking about the griddle, a helluvalotta heat pours out around the cooking surface.  That's the exhaust.  So a wood table would probably be out.
    That's some of the clearance issue I talked about earlier.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @GaryLange I like that idea.

@fishlessman I was thinking about dark tile around the rest of the top. That way I can just spray some vinegar on everything and wipe it down.

South of Nashville, TN

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    GaryLange said:
    Just thinking about this again and wonder if you could mount the Griddle on a platform with a cover that when opened it would raise the griddle up out of the table to allow the ventilation to operate as if it was stand along unit. Then when closed it would be a level surface for the table.
    Want to keep this alive.  I like your thinking Gary.  I picked up a 4'x12' sheet of stainless today which a friend gave me.  Many thanks for that.  Like Killit_and_Grillit  , I also would like to be able to cover the Blackstone area and use it for counter space when not in use.  I was hoping to hinge the back of the cut out part of the stainless sheet so I can raise it and access the grill.  But having the Blackstone recessed won't work.  It needs to be raised when in use.  I'm trying to devise a simple way to raise and lower it as needed.  I hope to be able to post some pics some time in the future (probably far in the future).  My setup won't be at all elaborate as some I see on here.  Have to keep it simple but functional.   

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    This guy just joined the group, but check out what he did - might give you some ideas:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/editor/z3/j7ii7e6g4n1s.jpg

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • plandreth
    Options
    Awesome set up. I left my black stone at the office because I cook dinner for my guys each Wednesday for electrical training. Think I'll go get it and use the egg and the stone all weekend!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Fyi, I stored a bottle of vegetable oil on the bottom shelf and it melted during a cook.  I also almost boiled a beer sitting on the side shelfs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Fyi, I stored a bottle of vegetable oil on the bottom shelf and it melted during a cook.  I also almost boiled a beer sitting on the side shelfs.
    I fired up the Blackstone yesterday after work. I set my fountain drink on the side shelf. It gets a little warm in that area.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I burned the crap out of my hand the other day after putting a Yeti tumbler next to it for about 20 minutes. 

Lessons learned. 

South of Nashville, TN