Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One Darn strong wind

a couple of weeks ago a front blew through  here in IND and my egg and table took a dive. The table and Egg seem to be okay. That is after replacing the fire ring and place setter. I cleaned the egg and got everything back pretty much the way it was. the problem I am having is adjusting the lid. I have tried securing and  adjusting the lid yet when I do the dollar bill test the lid is loose on 3 of the four points where the red tabs were placed. Oddly though when I close the lid and  move the lid to the left after closing all of the dollar check points are real tight. would this be the assembly that would need replacing or adjusting the bands with new bolts for the rings? Anybody have any suggestions ???

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I'm awful at adjusting mine. So I can't really give any advice other than when you get it close, call it quits. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I think the key to adjusting the bands/lid is to have the red spacer's that ship with the egg.
    Maybe you can get some from a dealer if you don't have any.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Anything that can bend one way, can bend the other, grasshopper.
    XL I  assume?
  • Actually it is a Large and I am using the red tabs and the white ones also. I am wondering if starting out with some new bolts for the band will help?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Ok. 
    My advice is to get it dialed in as close as you can with the red tabs. Sounds like you've done this. Now with the done closed, loosen the top band enough to move the dome/band slightly. I would then push the band up slightly where you need the dome to have further down pressure and then retighten. It's not real common, but occasionally you need to force the band alignment out of alignment (slightly now) in order to achieve a great seal. I will say this is most common on XL, thus my question. Depending on the age of your egg, the top bolts on the hinge assembly might have slotted holes on the hinge to allow for some lateral movement. I might loosen those also during my tweek of the dome. Those are just the cap nuts holding the hinge to the band. Loosen only the top. Don't be too afraid to lean on it a bit if needed like Carey says. 

Good luck. 
  • Thank I will try that and let you know
  • Thank you pgprescott, that helped. After following your advice the hinge it was also out of adjustment? like maybe the fall caused it maybe. The lid is real close to where a new gasket would make it really tight. Is there any way to tell when a gasket should be replaced? I found out that if one insists on replacing a bolt on the band that goes around the lid or base, to strongly reconsider it unless the bolt breaks.

• Can't imagine its any worse than not having a gasket. 
    Strike a match and get some smokin rollin. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544

Thank you pgprescott, that helped. After following your advice the hinge it was also out of adjustment? like maybe the fall caused it maybe. The lid is real close to where a new gasket would make it really tight. Is there any way to tell when a gasket should be replaced? I found out that if one insists on replacing a bolt on the band that goes around the lid or base, to strongly reconsider it unless the bolt breaks.

My gasket looks like hell. It's the original and I'm sure it was the old crappy style prior to the Nomex. It's not as big a deal to replace them IMO. The new ones have much better adhesive and I'm sure you can find a YouTube to show the way. I did the one on my primo last year in 20 minute from tear out to done. I wouldn't let a small leak ruin your day unless you feel it's affecting the cooks or hampering the shutdown significantly. Good luck and egg on! 
  • Thank you will do I am learning every time I use it. I will look into a nomex gasket for it. for as soon as the weather gets closer to the 50 degree mark without rain I will be egging again, until then thank you again for the directions.