Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain Predicted

Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
Just getting the nerve up to try my first long (all day) cook of a pork butt in my New (4 cooks) Large Egg, and discovered Rain is in the weather forecast. Upon reading in the forums, some seem to just use foil and to create some type of tent.  Others recommend some type of a cap.  Specifically I have been reading about the Smokeware Cap, and I think that Lowes has something also.   I am debating if I should go to the local hardware store and get a cap, or not.  
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Light rain and you should be fine with just your daisy wheel.  If it picks up a little then there is nothing wrong with setting up a little foil tent to guard the top venting.

For the long term, I definitely recommend a smokeware stainless cap. I have one and love it.

Brandon - Ohio

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Your cap will be only slightly opened. I doubt any rain gets in unless it's really heavy. People get too worried about it and make all sorts of rain protection caps, when I don't think it's necessary. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    An umbrella works too.
    Your cap will be only slightly opened. I doubt any rain gets in unless it's really heavy. People get too worried about it and make all sorts of rain protection caps, when I don't think it's necessary. 
    This.

@bhedges1987 speaks the truth.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• A stove pipe cap such as this one does the job if rain gets heavy. Just ensure you get a diameter appropriate to your daisy wheel (plus any offset you need for the top of the wheel of swinging the top to increase airflow).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BQT6FS/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1484784978&sr=1-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=stove+pipe+cap&dpPl=1&dpID=31MT3Q8TM7L&ref=plSrch
  • Don't sweat it right now.  Unless the weatherman is asking for animals in pairs, you are fine with the regular iron cap.  The smokeware cap is just a nice looking accessory; and yes, I have one.  Is it necessary?  No.  I chose it because I didn't want to have to swap back and forth from the ceramic snuffing cap and the iron cap.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Thanks for all of the advice
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Rain snow or shine you'll be fine cooking in the bge! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Don't worry about accessories just yet. There's plenty of time to get them and folks here are VERY willing to help you spend your money :smiley:

Use a piece of foil for now , and then consider the Smokeware cap later. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    If you are using the daisy wheel no need to cover, you will be just fine.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    An umbrella works too.
    I have used the patio umbrella in dire weather in the past. Works great. With the Daisy Wheel, on low and slow cooks, the only thing getting wet, is me running outside to check my cooks.
    On low and slow cooks, I never use the umbrella anymore, as it is not necessary. Must have done 50-60 cooks, no problem. I am thinking because the vents are so narrow for these cooks, it would take a couple buckets of water, with a direct hit, to extinguish the fire.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    YukonRon said:
    An umbrella works too.
    I have used the patio umbrella in dire weather in the past. Works great. With the Daisy Wheel, on low and slow cooks, the only thing getting wet, is me running outside to check my cooks.
    On low and slow cooks, I never use the umbrella anymore, as it is not necessary. Must have done 50-60 cooks, no problem. I am thinking because the vents are so narrow for these cooks, it would take a couple buckets of water, with a direct hit, to extinguish the fire.
    Bingo.  The umbrella keeps you dry, egg doesn't really need it.  But you can comfortably open it, load it, check on stuff, etc with a higher degree of comfort.   I have a couple beach umbrellas - 8' and 9' diameter.  They were around $40-$50.  Mostly I use them on my boat.
    YukonRon said:
    An umbrella works too.
    Bingo.  The umbrella keeps you dry, egg doesn't really need it.  But you can comfortably open it, load it, check on stuff, etc with a higher degree of comfort.   I have a couple beach umbrellas - 8' and 9' diameter.  They were around $40-$50.  Mostly I use them on my boat.
    The underbrella function works pretty darn good.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky