Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Cook -- Question about thermometer

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
After a few successful cooks of chicken on my new BigGreenEgg, I think that I am ready to move to Pork.  And I am thinking about a Pork Butt since many of you say that it is hard to screw it up.  

I don't think that I am ready for an overnight cook yet, so I will try to locate a small one (hopefully under 5 pounds) and start the cook around 8 AM.  From what I understand, it should take about 1.5 hours per pound at a 250 to 275 dome temp, so hopefully it will be done by dinner time.  

I also don't yet have a remote thermometer, waiting until I can afford a good one, rather than just buying a cheap one now.  I do have a thermopen, and I will have to check it from time to time But I am wondering if anyone has recommendations here?  Should I just get a cheap one now for this cook or go in some other directions until I can afford a Thermoprobe Smoke or a DigiQue?)

Thanks!

Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I'll let others chime in with more details and good/better advice. For me the biggest key is not letting the fire get too big before setting the vents. Let the fire get baseball/softball size then close the dome and get to 230 or so and set the vents and adjust to get to 250. Really hard to go down in temp and you risk the fire going out.
    LBGE
    AL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I would get a Maverick. I love mine. I can be in the house or in other parts of my yard and monitor both the pit and the meat temps. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Kjunbob
    Options
    I would get a Maverick. I love mine. I can be in the house or in other parts of my yard and monitor both the pit and the meat temps. 
    I see that some Mavericks aren't too expensive.  Which one do you have?  Thanks

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can cook any sized pork shoulder in under 12 hours by adjusting your temperature.

You have everything you need. 

Figure on an hour per pound at 275, because the math is easy.  Adjust temp to make your dinner time.
    Options
    @Kjunbob     You don't need a remote thermometer.  They are convenient, but checking with your Thermapen will due just fine.  

Get a full butt (7-8 pounder).  You can start one around breakfast and have it ready for dinner.  I normally aim for 280-290º and get good results.  Don't be afraid of increasing the temp in the pm if things are going slower than planned.

Approximate cooking times for pork butt/shoulder:

225º:  2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

275º:  1 hour per pound

350º:  30-45 mins per pound

There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough. Times assume a full sized butt - 7-10 pounds. Temps are dome.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    What @jtcBoynton said......  go 275 and you will be eating butt for dinner with no stress
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Another in the camp of go with the larger butt (more cushioning ;)  ).  Seriously, I have observed that once you get under around 5-6 lbs the cook times above tend to go out the window as the smaller ones run long.  When the bone pulls clean you are there-and you can dial it up to punch it home if approaching the finish-line.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    275-300, you will be in time and love the results. 
    VA Beach
  • Kjunbob
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice!  Will give it a go and check it from time to time with my Thermapen.
  • Kjunbob
    Options
    One more question here before I start the process.  I am reading that I should pull if off when it gets to around 195 or so.  Is that the consensus?  Thanks!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't use temperature alone.  It's done when the meat loosens up - the test is to stab with your thermopen.   It's done when there's virtually no resistance - like if you plunged it into butter.  This will happen somewhere between 195 and 208F. 
    Options
    One of the benefits of not having a remote thermometer is that by checking the pork with your Thermapen as it cooks you will know the feel when the meat loosens up.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I agree with the comments about going a bit higher with your temp..if you cook at 275-300 you will still get great results and you don't have the stress of a 12 hour cook. And def get a full butt!
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use one of those cheap $12 or something like that - hard wired probe thermometer that is for indoors and that works just fine.  I put it in a baggie when it's raining.   Been using this for that last 6 years.

You don't "need" one ... jut check with your thermopen every few hours to see where you are at, more often near the end.   When you get around 195 just check if if done like stated above.

Having said that, a remote thermometer is on my wish list, just have not gotten around to it yet.

Good luck on your cook, I'm sure it will come out fine.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)