Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SmokeWare Chimney Snuffing Lump

Options
Finally cooked a Pork Loin wrapped in Bacon and posted pictures of the cook tonight. I used the SmokeWare Chimney for the first time and loved it, HUGE difference as far as adjusting and playing with it goes. One thing I did notice was after the cook I shot down the bottom vent and the chimney and about 1.5 hours later I went back out to put things away and clean up. I opened the cover and the coals were red after having the cover open for 1 minute. I was actually surprised they were still alive or am I wrong in thinking that. The base of the chimney I know is very tight because I had to tap it to the base of the egg cover with a rubber mallet and the top fits on easy and slides normally. I did double check to make sure none of the vent hole was showing. Lump seemed to die faster with the egg cover.
XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited January 2017
    Options
    They make and sell this snuffing cap which was the brainchild of @Jeepster47.
    If you don't want to buy one then you can easily make one out of wood. Let me fine the ones I made a couple of.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    RRP said:
    If you don't want to buy one then you can easily make one out of wood. Let me fine the ones I made a couple of.
    I too have the same problem with the Smokeware but have wondered if that cap sits over the Smokeware chimney or down in it?
  • sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Options
    Ahhhh so I didn't imagine it... Thanks for the picture. 
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sounds very similar to the problem I have when trying to shut down with just the daisy cap.  I have to put the green snuffer cap on.  Sounds like you still have to to take the extra step with the smokeware cap but with an added purchase. Sorry.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    Powak said:
    RRP said:
    I too have the same problem with the Smokeware but have wondered if that cap sits over the Smokeware chimney or down in it?
    Down inside, but here's one of the wooden ones I made for a lady friend and myself. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It gets better as the cap gunks up a bit with use. The sniffer will obviously extinguish the fastest though. Enjoy the new bling. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Powak said:
    RRP said:
    Sits down in it.  I put it in, then pop the cap on.  I leave it like that till my next cook.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    Powak said:
    RRP said:
    Down inside, but here's one of the wooden ones I made for a lady friend and myself. 

Ron! That's pretty phallic to be giving to a lady friend! You scoundrel!

Jk my friend. That was just another good deed you done there. 
  • sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Options
    So when this is in the chimney it is actually sitting on top of the Egg chimney?
    All the way down I am imagining? The dowel is long enough to grab it because it's inside?
  • RRP
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    So when this is in the chimney it is actually sitting on top of the Egg chimney?
    All the way down I am imagining? The dowel is long enough to grab it because it's inside?
    Bingo! 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Guess I'm lucky, all 3 caps snuff like the DFMT or ceramic cap..and they haven't been cleaned.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DaveRichardson
    Options

I've been running the Smokeware cap since their Version2 came out with the angled vents.....  Its been good and smoked for that year and gotten very gunked up!  Treated it to the yellow-top oven cleaner and trashbag for 24 hrs and its shinier than new!

Why, you may ask, did I clean it?  I'm taking it to a laser engraver and having some stuff put on it.  Just gotta finish up my logo and I'll be taking it over!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Cutconcrete1
    Options
    I just got a Smokeware cap a couple weeks ago. And I have also found that I have better results in snuffing out my fire by using the BGE ceramic cap. But, I have to say the Smokeware cap is the best when trying to dial in a cook. 
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    My SW cap snuffs the fire as good or better than the ceramic cap.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fire extinguisher 
    Options
    No issues with the DW or ceramic cap. Still getting great food.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I received my SW Cap last year for Christmas and went out and bought the Flat Cap from my dealer for $15.  You can get it on Smokeware's website as well
    http://smokeware.com/collections/chimney-caps/products/flat-cap
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.