Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

They said "pulled chicken" huh? Pulled chicken???

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
a local popular meat market/butcher shop has been running an ad which includes pulled pork and pulled chicken. I swear I have never heard of pulled chicken. Is that popular somewhere?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Jerked chicken is popular in Jamaica Mahn; I believe pulled chicken is a Cuban specialty.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Ive heard of pulled chicken. Dont think Ive ever seen or ate it. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That seems crazy to me you have never heard of pulled chicken!!! 
    Grim I have to agree with you on this one buddy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yeah. I've heard of choked chicken, but pulled chicken must be strictly Southern.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Yeah. I've heard of choked chicken, but pulled chicken must be strictly Southern.
    Pretty sure they're both hand-pulled.  That's all I know.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If anyone gets interested. They key to good pulled chicken is using leg quarters and cooking them as slow as possible. like 225 kind of slow or even slower. they take on a different texture when cooked real slow that lends them better to pulling. Otherwise you end up with a chopped chicken thing instead of strands of pulled chicken.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Lol
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ron's troll MO: throw something seemingly naive out there, let all the egg forum denizens act out like 2nd graders, then pretend indignation on the "undeserved critical" attention.

I like it. 

I must say, true to form, that pulled chicken is theoretically impossible.  Chicken can not be pulled.  Saying that it can is a metaphor for something buffalo worthy.  This can be scientifically proven because chicken does not have collagen or connective tissue that can be broken down with heat or enzymes.  I'm a chemist, I know this to be true.  Chicken is grown in a feather laboratory and is completely GMO.
    Options
    Pulled chicken in Minnesota 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Chicken can not be pulled. 
    I beg to differ. I'm pulling my chicken as we speak  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    Chickens are fowl.  Shame, shame....(repeat)
    Options
    Never been much of a commenter anyway, but dammit, it's threads like this that keep me logging back in every time.
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm pretty sure NOLA is my spirit animal
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If one can boil water on an egg, one can pull chicken....baby steps.

A Neuro nurse makes an awesome buffalo chicken dip for our potlucks.  The texture of the white meat chicken is similar to pulled pork.  Believe it or not, it can be done.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Pulled chicken is available at costco, or at your local grocery store, and is available, off the shelf, vacuum sealed, in cans, for like, over 50 years.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,843
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I guess my mom pulled chicken to put it into dishes like "chicken and dumplings" or other stuff, but she never used the term "pulled chicken".  The first time I had heard that term was a few years ago.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Pulled chicken is a staple here. That is what chicken thighs are for....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    SGH said:
    There is a difference between pulling and choking your chicken Brother Scottie!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options
    I'll bite:  Is there a difference between pulled chicken and shredded chicken?  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We use shredded or "pulled chicken" in many dishes enchiladas, tacos, chilli, soup, tamales, bbq sammies.... I'm also not originally from the South. We had these in the Midwest as did my Wife in NM and CO. We use dark & white meat. Perhaps IL is in a bubble of its own. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I use pulled unicorn meat on the sabbath 
    Options
    I assume you can pull just about any muscle tissue.

I had a pulled hamstring once. Hurt like a sumb!tch!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,843
    Options
    Pulled Piping Plover is a staple when I visit Cape Cod. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    We use shredded or "pulled chicken" in many dishes enchiladas, tacos, chilli, soup, tamales, bbq sammies.... I'm also not originally from the South. We had these in the Midwest as did my Wife in NM and CO. We use dark & white meat. Perhaps IL is in a bubble of its own. 
    I live not too far from Ron and I have heard of it. I make at least one a month because my daughter loves it. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I assume you can pull just about any muscle tissue.

I had a pulled hamstring once. Hurt like a sumb!tch!
    Pulled ham?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Ive heard of pulling chicken and choking chicken.....