Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooked my little prime rib experiment.

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
So I decided to go ahead and cook the little 2 rib roast I had been aging in the fridge even though it had only been 15 days. It was starting to look pretty dry and to be honest, I needed the room back in the fridge. 

I cut the outer 2 mm off the ends only because it was very dry and hard, left the rind all the way around. Then I just cut it into two steaks. Cooked one, vac packed and froze the other. 

Here it is cut and waiting it's appointment with the Egg. 

Had I planned better this would have been best done reverse sear I think but I just went 400 direct. 
My wife has to have a sauce when she has steak and so rather than just have her put something from the fridge on it I made some brown butter and fried some shallots, scallions and parsley in it and drizzled this over when it was cut. I was really happy with the end results.

The steak was super tender despite only being 2 weeks and the rind was great. Crispy and beefy. This fed all 6 of us, plus a salad and some bread and all the boys liked it which is an accomplishment given how fussy my 10 and 12 year olds can be. I've had dry aged before but it was always heavily trimmed and this was nice. I will keep an eye out for deals on prime rib and see if I can grab a bigger rack or just go buy a rib primal. 

Finished product. 

Thanks for the advice everyone. 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• bclarksicle
    Options
  • sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Options
    Nice post on your experiment. Great post!
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    A great looking cook.
    Good job.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Love the way it's sliced and sauced. Awesome cook. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    It was a success! I have a 2-bone prime rib in the freezer and I'd love to try what you did. Please tell me the process for storing it in the refrigerator.
    Judy in San Diego
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Looks great!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    That's beautiful!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    It was a success! I have a 2-bone prime rib in the freezer and I'd love to try what you did. Please tell me the process for storing it in the refrigerator.
    Took off the wrapper, put it on a grate and then on a plate and put it in the refrigerator. That's it. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1201849/starting-my-first-dry-aged-prime-rib#latest
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Please tell me the process for storing it in the refrigerator.
    !! ?

of all the dead horses we like to beat here, dry aged horse may be the most dead horse of all.  :)

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Ignoring the snarky comment above by @Just In Case He Fell Down, I'm going to cook the dry aged small prime rib on Sunday. I've asked @gmac for help about how far to go in trimming off the leathery parts and white spots (mold?). In case he doesn't get back to me in time, can anyone give me their advice?
    Thanks for any help in keeping the trimming to a minimum. 
    Judy in San Diego
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Ignoring the snarky comment above by @Just In Case He Fell Down, I'm going to cook the dry aged small prime rib on Sunday. I've asked @gmac for help about how far to go in trimming off the leathery parts and white spots (mold?). In case he doesn't get back to me in time, can anyone give me their advice?
    @Judy Mayberry I think many people treat it like a loaf of bread where you cut off and discard the end pieces. With the roast sitting in the normal position with bones down, cut a small slice off of each end exposing the un-dried meat. Leave the rest. Each steak will then look like a slice of sandwich bread with a crust around the perimeter but not on the largest side. 

You can see it in this picture.  There is crust around the roast but a small slice has exposed the meat from the end.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    It wasn't 'snarky'

i am just amazed itnis possible to habe missed posts in dry aging for a solid decade. Like asking "what's all this I hear about bacon?"

as for rules or help or info

the ENTIRE process is: buy a roast or subprimal (better).  Leave uncovered on a cooling rack over cookie sheet in fridge as long as you have courage for. No. do nothing. As in: stop worrying and do not improvise any fixes or things which make you feel better about it. 

Cut into roasts or steaks and cook as you would. Trim bothing except the "heel end" of the "loaf" as it were. They cook fast. Don't overcook

there wont be any mold. If there is, rub it off. 

Don't overthink. Don't invent. Don't trim. Don't overcook

it is the exact same thing and process as the hundred orher times you have cooked a roast. Except this time you leave it uncovered in the fridge as long as you can stand. 

Two weeks is a wasted of time. Three is barely a start. 45 days the sweet spot. 65-100 for people who want to say they did

why no lengthy answer the first time?

because this is w/o exaggeration the hundredth time i have typed that. 

And the subject is easily found when searching. 

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    damn phone fat fingers. apologies for the typos.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    damn phone fat fingers. apologies for the typos.

I'm not sure you know what snarky means. I know it's hard for you to tolerate the simple folk, but try. You have too much to offer. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited January 2017
    Options
    pretty sure i do.

is it possible that it is hard for you to understand a joking nature, on the interwebs?

i'll agree this isn't the best medium for tongue in cheek, but don't always assume the worst of people.

fwiw, your replies to everyone in all these political posts sound as if you literally hate them and everything they stand for, and here you are chastising someone answering the same question with the same in depth answer for the hundredth time.

and if, in an attempt to be cheeky about it, some weariness enters into it, well, i'm sorry.  but there is a part of it that is tiresome. ...this is NOT a new topic, or one not asked about at least three times this week alone.  at this point, you'd need to actively avoid the subject.  and having seen so many posts about it, it should at least raise the idea of someone doing a quick search on it.

but back to my point.  tone.  the tone is my answer was partly joking.  as i am sure yours is in all those posts where you spend your time instead of answering questions of newbies.

try not to assume the worst, and i won't either. ok?

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @you know who: Thanks for your rundown. When you feel exasperated by the same question being asked over and over, consider not bothering to answer. I'm sure the reason it's asked over and over is that most Eggers have not previously had a prime rib to age or refrigerator room to store it, as in my case, and therefore never paid attention to the threads as they came up. That's what happened to me, and I represent EveryEgger.
    Judy in San Diego
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    What did you think of the flavor compared to non-aged prime rib? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It was very tasty. I have prime rib so seldom that It's hard to summon taste memory. I definitely should have trimmed off more of the leathery crust, a very thin outside layer that's impossible to chew. I did trim off the large end pieces.

I did it indirect at 250° dome temp to 125° (120° was too red) and it was perfect pink inside, edge to edge. No need to reverse sear. 
    Judy in San Diego
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Judy sounds like a success and thanks for reminding the veteran's on this forum if us newbies ask a question that has been asked a hundred times before, Don't feel the urge to reply if it annoys you that Damned much !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @Judy Mayberry Proud of you, and those like you. Agreed. I like helping if I can.
    The cook read fab to me. Hope you enjoyed it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    pretty sure i do.

is it possible that it is hard for you to understand a joking nature, on the interwebs?

i'll agree this isn't the best medium for tongue in cheek, but don't always assume the worst of people.

fwiw, your replies to everyone in all these political posts sound as if you literally hate them and everything they stand for, and here you are chastising someone answering the same question with the same in depth answer for the hundredth time.

and if, in an attempt to be cheeky about it, some weariness enters into it, well, i'm sorry.  but there is a part of it that is tiresome. ...this is NOT a new topic, or one not asked about at least three times this week alone.  at this point, you'd need to actively avoid the subject.  and having seen so many posts about it, it should at least raise the idea of someone doing a quick search on it.

but back to my point.  tone.  the tone is my answer was partly joking.  as i am sure yours is in all those posts where you spend your time instead of answering questions of newbies.

try not to assume the worst, and i won't either. ok?

Feels good, but not worth any mention for this guy.
    Options
    I'm very confused.