Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Burnt Ends

Options
cubed up my point from the other day and made burnt ends today. No sauce for you silly Texan burnt end haters. 

Cubed, rubbed, 1/4 c beef broth and 1/2 stick of butter. 

Paired with leftover SRF ham

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Looks great, I made some today also.  This is the only way I will do Brisket now.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Those look ridiculous... 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Nice, my kind of meal................ MEAT!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    hah, thanks!

You are cruising quite a ways back on the forum though! Almost 1/2 a year!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those look outstanding. If I may suggest, if you have extra try piling them up on Texas Kansas City Toast and make them into a burnt end grilled cheese. I have done this with burnt ends (from a cheap choice grade brisket) and it was excellent. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Those look outstanding. If I may suggest, if you have extra try piling them up on Texas Kansas City Toast and make them into a burnt end grilled cheese. I have done this with burnt ends (from a cheap choice grade brisket) and it was excellent. 
    That sounds ridiculously great.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I just drooled on my keyboard.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    God. Those look great 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I really should avoid this place when I'm hungry...it's worse than Costco.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    I don't try to eat my phone often, but long story short, i had to write this from the computer... dude those look incredible
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    @bhedges1987 yeah I was just checking out srf/brisket threads and came across it. Looked so good, I had to say something!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Wow, just wow! Question: did you cook partially and then cube, or did you cube the raw meet and dust with rub, then put in pan? I have a small maybe 4 lb piece in my freezer that I was going to cook up for burnt ends but have never tried before.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    evie1370 said:
    Wow, just wow! Question: did you cook partially and then cube, or did you cube the raw meet and dust with rub, then put in pan? I have a small maybe 4 lb piece in my freezer that I was going to cook up for burnt ends but have never tried before.
    These were my guess made from the point, is what you have the flat or did you separate the point from the flat?  You can make burnt ends from the flat, but they most usually done with the point because the higher fat content.  If you want to try it I would at least cook it whole to 180 before cubing up.  I like to cook the whole packer to done then separate the point from the flat, re-rub and and put back on the egg for a couple more hours.  Then put in a pan with some butter more rub cover with foil and cook for about another hour.

@bhedges1987, should chime in on what to do.  I did some SRF burnt ends a few weeks ago.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206026/smoming-first-srf-brisket#latest
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • evie1370
    Options
    I basically bought a 17 lb brisket but could not fit the whole thing, so cut off the end-the thinner, leaner piece and froze it. Fat content is not very high, not like the point. So I may have to pull earlier.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    evie1370 said:
    These were my guess made from the point, is what you have the flat or did you separate the point from the flat?  You can make burnt ends from the flat, but they most usually done with the point because the higher fat content.  If you want to try it I would at least cook it whole to 180 before cubing up.  I like to cook the whole packer to done then separate the point from the flat, re-rub and and put back on the egg for a couple more hours.  Then put in a pan with some butter more rub cover with foil and cook for about another hour.

@bhedges1987, should chime in on what to do.  I did some SRF burnt ends a few weeks ago.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206026/smoming-first-srf-brisket#latest
    ^ What he said.  

This attempt, I cooked the whole packer together, removed the point when it was done, cubed and put it back on the smoker.  Since then, I keep the whole point together when I put it back on and cube it after.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @evie1370 -  should you run into the size issue again, drape the brisket over a foiled brick or inverted rib rack to get the initial fit.  Once shrinkage takes over you should be able to remove the support.  BTW-if you go this route, expect a little quicker cook, all other things being equal ('cept the cow) as you have elevated the protein higher into the dome for a portion of the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • evie1370
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @evie1370 -  should you run into the size issue again, drape the brisket over a foiled brick or inverted rib rack to get the initial fit.  Once shrinkage takes over you should be able to remove the support.  BTW-if you go this route, expect a little quicker cook, all other things being equal ('cept the cow) as you have elevated the protein higher into the dome for a portion of the cook.  FWIW-

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I was not able to wrap this around the brick and have it still fit as I have a Medium. The largest I can fit is a 14 lb brisket, and that is using the brick. You are spot on regarding cook time in this situation, I have found it gets done real early but no issues with that. Going forward I will just have to stay with the 14 lb range, and separate as you do. Live and Learn!

"

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    "Paired with ham."  I love it when meat is a side to other meat!  
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Wow.... that looks awesome 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"