Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Ends (Serious Barbecue)

Options
Last day of vacation today so decided to do a Brisket, or Burnt Ends from Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang (P.173).   Never had much luck at brisket before so decided to try a new recipe - Very happy with the results and will do this from now on.

Was surprised at the cooking method, 325 F for 2.5 hours, foil for 3 hours.  It tuned out great!  temperature was at 205 after that and very moist.   I cut the 7 lbs brisket in two for room, probably did not have to do that.

The end result

Thanks!
Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Did you do them with the melted garlic?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    Very nice. I did my first burnt ends yesterday with a chuck roast and they were great. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • SeaCros
    SeaCros Posts: 11
    Options
    Nice
    Steeler fan for life living in Jacksonville, FL
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Unfortunately, no.  Did not have any on hand.  Did use his BBQ sauce from the book, which is the only BBQ sauce we use now.  Next time I will be more prepared, the melted garlic sounds good.
    Dave
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nicely done, bet they were a tasty treat.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Oh yeah!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    edited January 2017
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Unfortunately, no.  Did not have any on hand.  Did use his BBQ sauce from the book, which is the only BBQ sauce we use now.  Next time I will be more prepared, the melted garlic sounds good.
    I can highly recommend it.  Mixed in with the burnt ends - you won't forget it.

His sauce is great too!
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    you did burnt ends out of the entire flat?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • EggNorth
    Options
    you did burnt ends out of the entire flat?

Yes!  But it was been consumed as I was cutting it so it did not all make it to the burnt ends stage.
    Dave
  • EggNorth
    edited January 2017
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    I can highly recommend it.  Mixed in with the burnt ends - you won't forget it.

His sauce is great too!
    I will have to make some and mix it in with the leftovers, if it can make it a few days, not much left now  =).  

This is is the one cookbook that I use the most, have not been disappointed with any recipes yet, and I'v made many.
    Dave
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Where did you get the brisket. I rarely see the around here?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • EggNorth
    Options
    DiPietros's - They usually have a few there either in the display or packed up on the side of it.  They also sell 'OO' flour, if you have a need for that.
    Dave
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    not really "burnt ends" if they are make with the flat..."traditional" burnt ends are make from the deckle...and when done right, will make the eyes roll back in your head...everything to do with the marbling in the deckle
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    not really "burnt ends" if they are make with the flat..."traditional" burnt ends are make from the deckle...and when done right, will make the eyes roll back in your head...everything to do with the marbling in the deckle
    Indeed.  I'm pretty sure the APL recipe calls for using the deckle.  But if chunks of brisket flat cooked up like this taste great, who really cares what they're called?
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Indeed.  I'm pretty sure the APL recipe calls for using the deckle.  But if chunks of brisket flat cooked up like this taste great, who really cares what they're called?

yessir...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

We cant eat a whole brisket between the 2 of us, plus if we have another coule over 15 lb brisky goes a long way.

We always cut up the flat and add it to the point for burnt ends. We then cryovac them for eats later. I haven't heard anyone complain about them eating flat.

• EggNorth
    Options
    Recipe calls for two brisket points ... It was mostly all point, never seen a full brisket around much, but whatever, you cook with whatever you have.

I'm not a big Brisket fan, would rather spend the $ on a nice steak, but always fun to try something new.  Having said that the leftovers today was almost better than yesterday - I guess looking at it for 9 hours yesterday made me not too hungry when it was time to eat.
    Dave
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have followed that recipe several time and always add the Melting Garlic.  I have also made the BBQ sauce, and that is good stuff!  I agree, this is my most used cook book, with annotations and stains on many pages.  The only recipe I failed was the "Bowl of Red".  May have to try that again some day! 
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nicely done sir, indeed.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Looks great.

Got a copy of Serious Barbecue for Christmas, looks really good can't wait to try some of the recipes. 
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I usually see pieces of brisket at DePietros. It looks kind of lean to me. Yes, I have bought the OO flour there. 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario