Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with my first brisket flat

Options
BigBlackV
BigBlackV Posts: 59
i picked up at bjs a 5.5lb flat because this is my first one and I didn't want to spend too much (and F it up at $4.60lb). A friend of mine has done many and said just use a Texas rub so salt and pepper 50/50 or 60/40. He stated the beef temp should be around 185-190 degrees but didn't indicate how long it should be on for. He stated 225 temp is the ideal cooking temp with hickory wood. 

What have you guys guys had success with? Any tips on time and wrapping vs leaving unwrapped? I don't wanna do the crutch method if I don't have to. 

Thanks 

jay 

Comments

• dgordon2nc
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I did some searching and came across this and plan to do mine as stated: 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/355918/simplicity-rules-with-very-small-brisket-flat
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    First up, I would go easy on the salt to pepper ratio unless you like a solid salt flavor.  The above linked method will work.  The key with the flat is the narrow finish-line window due to the lean cut.  You can run straight to the finish-line but be looking for the probes like buttah finish.  And if you are there in a great majority of the flat, declare victory and pull.  Let rest on a cooling rack for around 10-15 minutes then FTC for a good hour or more if the schedule allows.
    I have cooked many and hosed up several-but stay the course.
    BTW, as you note you are paying in the neighborhood for $5/lb or more for a flat.  You can get a whole packer for half the cost and that makes the cook a whole lot easier.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.