Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Salt Block Shrimp and Scallops

bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 8,808
Himalayan salt block came my way Christmas Day.  Simple shrimp and scallops at 450 on the block.  Marinated the seafood in olive oil, lemon thyme, garlic and black pepper.  Finished with a little Meyer lemon OO.  Grilled asparagus and brown rice for sides.  We liked it but there was too much salt imparted to the shrimp.  I also should've dried the scallops because they released moisture and steamed and didn't brown.  Will try again with a larger protein.  Cheers.

Comments

• SmokingPineySmokingPiney Posts: 1,484
    edited December 2016
    They look good.

The salt blocks also make great serving platters - they will impart much less of the salt to the meat, and it looks cool.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,572
    Cool. Looks great. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 6,753
    Sweet Brent. Looking into the block stuff myself. You a pro or newbie? Like it?
  • blind99blind99 Posts: 3,387
    Looks tasty. The block got a handful of cooks but never made it into heavy rotation. I think it's under my gasser dissolving away. 
    Chicago, IL - Large BGE - Weber Gasser - Weber Kettle
  • Looks great!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap
  • Sweet Brent. Looking into the block stuff myself. You a pro or newbie? Like it?
    Ask Nichole.

He can't even keep his contacts straight in his phone. 
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 8,808
    Newbie Pete.  I'll post up more mediocre cooks for sure.  Pork chop up next.  Too much salt for the short, delicate seafood cook.

Ask Nichole.

He can't even keep his contacts straight in his phone. 
    You are one bitter sum bltch!  Glad to identify your number so I can block it.  Appreciate your response db! B)
  • in all seriousness. Had a block, used it twice. First time overloaded and way too salty on scallops. 

Second time. Not sure what I cooked, but broke it while cleaning. Chunked it. 

Good luck. 
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador
    in all seriousness. Had a block, used it twice. First time overloaded and way too salty on scallops. 

Second time. Not sure what I cooked, but broke it while cleaning. Chunked it. 

Good luck. 
    Just not your luck!  It was too salty for sure.  Gonna try some SV poke chops with reverse sear on the block. Experimenting.  Appreciate you bro.  Happy days in the mountains brother!
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 6,753
    bgebrent said:
    Newbie Pete.  I'll post up more mediocre cooks for sure.  Pork chop up next.  Too much salt for the short, delicate seafood cook.
    Look forward to the posts. I had a guy recently tell me the best steak he's ever had came off a salt block cook. Enjoy. 
    bgebrent said:
    Look forward to the posts. I had a guy recently tell me the best steak he's ever had came off a salt block cook. Enjoy. 
    I have a FM salt block in que.  seems like a bigger piece of protein will be better served.  Happy New Year to you and yours brother.
  • GregWGregW Posts: 1,185
    I've always wanted a salt block, but I've heard that they are prone to heat cracking at their best and exploding at their worst.
    I do think it would cook a good steak.
    GregW said:
    I've always wanted a salt block, but I've heard that they are prone to heat cracking at their best and exploding at their worst.
    You have to warm them slowly which works well on the egg..  I'll post up some steaks before long.
  • GregWGregW Posts: 1,185
    bgebrent said:
    GregW said:
    You have to warm them slowly which works well on the egg..  I'll post up some steaks before long.
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing the steaks.
  • Just curious where you found the Meyer Lemons @bgebrent  
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    Just curious where you found the Meyer Lemons @bgebrent  
    Brother, it was Meyer Lemon olive oil I used to finish.  I usually can find Meyer Lemons at whole foods.  They are a great ingredient.  Happy new year brother!
  • SGHSGH Posts: 22,589

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    Thank you Scottie!!
  • bhedges1987bhedges1987 Posts: 2,595
    Awesome looking meal man.Nicely done!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Awesome looking meal man.Nicely done!
    Thank you sir!