Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Slicer

Options
 Anybody have any reviews on this particular meat slicer? It has a 7.5" serrated blade and a 150 watt motor. 
Can't seem to find anything online. I'm currently at bass pro shop and they have this one on special for $80 

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Buy it and wait for responses - can always return. May not be there next time you go in.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That is really small and that's a tiny motor. It's probably fine for a home cook but I'm guessing it does not have metal gears and will wear out like so many on here have mentioned. It looks like the chef's choice or something similar. You can get that at this price every day. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I have been in the Slicer Market-From what I have gleaned, if you want a dependable "constant non tapering cut"about cutting meat, nothing less than 10" blade and something rated for continuous duty...I have been searching CL  for a Globe, you may score and find a good value I think @Carolina Q picked up a used globe for around a $100.00..Iplanning on a budget up to $500.00 for a Used Slicer...Just my 2 cents
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Personally, I would stay away from anything plastic. 1) they are cheap 2) they don't last. (Especially if you become a heavy user of sliced meats). The serrated blade may tend to tear the meat instead of slicing it. 

I have an Avantco 309.  It won't cut a whole pork belly for "full length" bacon, but it is very durable (all metal) and the blade is razor sharp. There is also a 10" model (310). 

You will spend the money now, or you will spend it later by replacing cheap stuff over and over. I got mine from the Webstaurant store and find that it was well worth the $$$. 
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl309-9-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL309.html

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I really like this one for the money. IT's $300 brand new, is all metal and 10: blade. I was able to find a used globe/chef's choice 10" on CL for $140 a few years ago. Took a few weeks of trying but it popped up and I grabbed it. 

I think there are a few guys who have the one below- looks like a good deal to me

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl310-10-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL310.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CK_1nrfumdECFQkKaQodAfcEIQ
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yep, a 1940something Globe 150. Weighs more than my car. Needs some work, but it does okay. Still, a waste of money, even if only $100. I rarely use it, it's a real pain to clean and it takes up far too much space. Needs a wheeled cart and its own garage... neither of which I have room for. 

Get a nice slicing knife. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
     The slicer is not something that I will use every day maybe just once or twice a month when I want to slice up a steak some cheese or even a roast beef.
     Not sure what the gears are made out of whether it's plastic like some have mentioned or some type of steel.  The main body and components are made out of aluminum and stainless steel. 

I do have some reservations about the serrated blade like one person mentioned it might chop at the meat instead of slicing it. 
     Based on the wattage of the motor I believe it comes out to about .25 hp. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
     The slicer is not something that I will use every day maybe just once or twice a month when I want to slice up a steak some cheese or even a roast beef.
     Not sure what the gears are made out of whether it's plastic like some have mentioned or some type of steel.  The main body and components are made out of aluminum and stainless steel. 

I do have some reservations about the serrated blade like one person mentioned it might chop at the meat instead of slicing it. 
     Based on the wattage of the motor I believe it comes out to about .25 hp. 
    The main complaint with this style and price point of slicer is that the blade does not seat firmly in the gear after a while and you get non-uniform slices. They are like "wavy" slices. I don't like the serrated edge but someone on here said it worked fine. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    ^^ that's interesting about the blade not seating firmly in the gear.

I just checked out with this item on my way to the store to pick up some cheese and see how this thing does.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We have a plastic geared slicer with a wavy blade edge. You can get a separate plain edge blade for it, but the wavy one works even for thin slices of parma ham.  What is less good is the meat carrier / holder and to get a good square cut you really need to hold the meat with your hand, which isn't ideal.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Cabellas was having a good in store sale on slicers. Might check online as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I will have to check which one I have but I used it a lot when I got it, less now. Looks similar to that one. Mostly I use it every few months when I buy a ham or cook a big roast and want to make lunch meat. Serrated blade has not been an issue.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Ok.. well, this slicer is a POS! The gears are plastic and this slicer is LOUD.
     I bought a big chunk of Gouda smoked cheese at Publix and all it did was the best I can describe it is burn the cheese where the ends were melted over the edges.

also,  tried to slice up a whole onion at the maximum width of approximately 1/2"... yea, didn't happen.  The metal in the back where you see the picture of my finger pointing towards seems like it's too close to the blade and it was not allowing the onion to separate as easily..

So now I have to drive another 45 minutes back to bass pro shop within the next 30 days to return this..

• onedbguru
    Options
    With the Avantco, the blade is connected to the motor with 3 screws - no gears and will slice cheese, bacon, sirloin (for making cheese-steaks) and a whole lot more.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    good call on the return- it only gets worse from here. a barnd new $300 slicer with all metal parts is a great deal. You can find a deal on CL with a little patience. I had to sell the first one I bought because it was in terrible shape and weight about 200lbs but ended up with a great on on round 2.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I really like this one for the money. IT's $300 brand new, is all metal and 10: blade. I was able to find a used globe/chef's choice 10" on CL for $140 a few years ago. Took a few weeks of trying but it popped up and I grabbed it. 

I think there are a few guys who have the one below- looks like a good deal to me

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl310-10-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL310.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CK_1nrfumdECFQkKaQodAfcEIQ
    I bought this one new 2 years ago.  It does everything I have asked it to do with no problem.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Troll your local Criagslist, they pop up all the time. I picked up a Berkel 808 automatic slicer for $300 and needed about $10 in parts. Weighs 150# and I bought a rolling steel cart from ULine for $100 or so.

It lives in the guest bedroom closet which is down a back hallway from the kitchen so it's not inconvenient to use/store.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SirSquatch
    Options
    I found a Berkel 12" (don't know the model #) on CL local to some family up North for $400 but don't really know anything about them or this one in particular. 

If anyone in the Western Mass area is looking and knows more maybe it's a deal?

https://vermont.craigslist.org/for/5910709582.html
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • CTMike
    Options
    Not sure where in FLA you are located, but these appear to be a good deals in the Miami area:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/app/5878427338.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bfs/5893111944.html

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • onedbguru
    Options
    The Avantco 309 (9") or the 310 (10") will do most of what you would ever ask it to do. Some mfgs should be ashamed of the crap they put out. Yes, it may cost $80, but, will last even less and is not worth the $$$.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Will the Hobart and Berkels do everything you need?  Yes.  Easily. 
    But for a fraction of the price for a unit that is brand new, weighs enough to be stable and yet light enough and small enough to fit under a 32" round table in the dining room is why I went with my Advantco. I love it.  It does leave a very small tag end on large roasts, but I am 100% fine with that.  I did look at a Hobart, but then I figured it would be like my sausage grinder - to big and inconvenient to use more than 2-3 times a year. I use my slicer 2-3 times a month, and have for the last 2 years. Would I get the advantco if in a small commercial place? Probably not, but it is perfect for me to use at home. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I see you already tried it but that slicer is a piece of junk. 

Anything with a motor motor and moving parts...best to upgrade. 

My my sister and i are going to go in on a good one this summer. See if you can find a buddy nearby that wants one too. Best way to get a good one and get your $$$ worth. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    This a good deal?

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Every time I use my slicer I always think I need to use this thing more. Every 6 months or so this happens. It's a big ass foot print for how often it's used. 
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    This a good deal?

I'd be all over if it's a 10 or larger blade. Been looking myself. Want something to slice bacon. Usually do 20 to 30 lbs at a time. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    Check out the second one. The Hobart 512 is a good slicer and is not overly heavy as it does not have a full bottom. Also the footprint is not too big. At $200 it's a good deal but I'd try to get them down some. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's a freaking beast but if it's in working order it's a good deal. That thing probably weighs 100 lbs. the 12" commercial Hobart, globe, etc are serious heavy duty. Too big for me to move around and store. I really like the 10" light duty semi-commercial models. They will do everything you could ever ask of them and they are light and easy to store. 
  • CTMike
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Agree with Cen-Tex, the commercial slicers are heavy (my Berkel is 165# or so), but they are built like a tank. With as little as it gets used it will clearly outlast me.  

I bought the 36x18 cart in this link from Uline to permanently store it on:

https://www.uline.com/BL_1863/Uline-Welded-Steel-Carts

Our guest bedroom room has two large closets so the slicer lives in one of the them. Just roll it into the kitchen when I need it, clean, and put it back when done. 

I wanted a 12" blade for cutting full slabs of bacon. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
     I may have to rethink this whole slicer situation.  I didn't think these high-quality slicers are going to weigh in excess of 100 pounds.  I definitely don't have room to put one of these on a cart and roll it around the house every time I need to use it.