Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - NIB Boos end grain warped Boos CS response

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
edited December 2016 in Off Topic
Not sure my thoughts on Boos right now.  I was presented with a beautiful 20×15×2.25" end grain maple board.

Problem is it has a wicked bow in it.  It is 1/4" from edge to edge.  Way to much for a wet paper towel to fix.  It spins like a top.

I contacted Boos and here was their response:

------------------------------

This warping is caused by imbalance in moisture, you will want to oil it liberally, wrap it with saran wrap to keep the oil and moisture in, then lay it on a flat surface that it not granite or concrete so it can acclimate to its surroundings. You will need to leave it wrapped for a couple days, you can even add a bag of flour or sugar as weight to help the process. Warpage is not covered under warranty, but following these instructions should take it back to its normal state.

Thank you,

Customer Service Representative

John Boos & Co.

3601 S Banker Street

Effingham, IL  62401

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have another Boos board and other wood boards.  None have needed this type of fixing out of the box.  Especially a $200 board.  Am I expecting to much?  Am I just spoiled by all the awesome vendors we deal with via this forum?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,392
    Options
    Given your past experience with the company, I would say you are not expecting too much.  I find it hard to believe the extent of moisture imbalance that would cause that level of bow.  No question that moisture can impact the alignment but 1/4" on your board is an outlier.  I would have a civil conversation about what level of bowing is acceptable when it goes in the box (I'm betting somewhere around zero) and go from there.  
    No experience with wood cutting boards, but plenty of run time with kiln and air dried ash and maple 37" x 3" rounds.  And I recently slept in a Holiday Inn Express. Good luck and keep the pressure on.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    That stinks.  Is this something you can return and re-order, hoping your new one is flat?  Amazon spoils us.  You can return almost anything for any reason and you get your money back.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Never would have believed a quality, end grain board would warp that much prior to use.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,187
    Options
    I'd just return it since it's new.  If you start messing with it, then it's yours regardless. 
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I'd say it's time to argue with them. Wood doesn't really warp that direction, and their instructions for fixing it don't make sense. The odds of it staying 'fixed' are next to zero.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    You can use my trash can...
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Warping like that is normal and will occur if the board gets wet on one side before it is seasoned with oil.  It should return back to normal when the moisture evens out.  This can happen to any wood board.  Get plastic.
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Give it 3-4 days, if it still spins like a top I would simply return it with a copy of the picture showing the 5/16" bow and tell them how unhappy you are with the board. Have they seen the picture? 5/16" is a lot for an end grain board of that size to warp. 

Edited from 3/8 to 5/16. I can't read a ruler appreantly. 
    Snellville, GA

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Give it 3-4 days, if it still spins like a top I would simply return it with a copy of the picture showing the 3/8" bow and tell them how unhappy you are with the board. Have they seen the picture? 3/8" is a lot for an end grain board of that size to warp. 
    I sent them a picture.  They seemed very unconcerned. Biggest issue was it was a gift.  I didn't want to inconvenience the gift giver.  After their response, I guess I will trouble my friend.

Oh well, I will not recommend Boos anymore unless you see it and check flatness first.  They have always been my go to for my boards and recommendations.  If a 1/4"+ warp out of the package is fine by them, its time to move on.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I agree completely. I'm sure the person who cared enough to give you such a nice board would not mind helping you get things corrected/returned.

Plenty of woodworkers out there that can produce a very fine board and I can assure you the response would be much different in the event you had any issues. Boos boards are going to sell regardless, the little guy sells his product through quality and customer service. 

Hope you get to the bottom of it. Show us the board once you get it replaced or it repairs itself. 
    Snellville, GA

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I sent Boos a link to this thread, out of transparency.

The representative responded:

As some of the comments have read, warping is an imbalance of moisture as it acclimated to the environment and that is why we suggest oiling it liberally, and wrapping it to contain the moisture. If the warping is not corrected after the treatment, then contact us again. we will however need proof of purchase.

Thank you,

Customer Service Representative

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    My response:

CS Representative  (name changed :) ) -

Thank you.  I talked to my friend and the retailer.  I am going to return it via them.

It is a real bummer, I tried to handle it without involving them.  In the end I hate to see them waste their money on a board I cannot use.

If it was a small warp I would have tried your method, but if I oiled and did all that I would not have been able to return to the retailer and based on your initial response I'm not convinced you would have made it right.

Btw, my family visited your factory and show room this summer.  It is a very neat place with some wonderful people.

Regards,
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    I would immediately contact the giver and ask for the board to be returned for a refund (not a replacement).
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,392
    Options
    Great call as they seem totally above any recognition that it could be a manufacturing issue from the origin.  You may want to shoot a note to the company president.  Doubt any change from them but you never know and you will likely feel better taking it to the top.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    I would immediately contact the giver and ask for the board to be returned for a refund (not a replacement).
    That is ultimately what I have done.  Just such a headache.  We are really spoiled by such great vendors on here.  Always thought of Boos as in their league.

After this thread they responded real fast, but initial response of "not our problem" doesn't instill confidence in a company.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    *sigh*
    Options
    Warping like that is normal and will occur if the board gets wet on one side before it is seasoned with oil.  It should return back to normal when the moisture evens out.  This can happen to any wood board.  Get plastic.
    Problem was, it was in their sealed plastic wrap from the factory.  Never seen any moisture.  No wiping, washing, etc.  Like I said NIB.  1/4" + warp and Boos saying "not our problem" is not CS I expect from highend places.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Take a picture of it in the trash can and start a thread on how terrible they are.... =)
    Lol
    I put a rotting roast in the trash, took a pic, and got a brand new one to replace it from Sam's.  

Oz, get that thing soaked in mineral oil and out in the warm sun to open it up, bow up.  Put some weight it in the middle...should straighten up.  Remember JLockhart used to do that with his walnut Boardsmith.

My bamboo board is warped. I place it on a silicone mat, bow up.  Works fine.

If there's doubt, shim it out.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Customer is always right
    "Oz, get that thing soaked in mineral oil and out in the warm sun to open it up, bow up.  Put some weight it in the middle...should straighten up"

Let's be real, you would have thrown the board in the trash and written the company off over 1/8" bow. Just like the clumps in the rub. But you expect him to try and fix his $200+ gift because it "should" straighten up. Funny guy you are.  
    Snellville, GA

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That's **** right there. I can see them telling you to oil if it was a year or 2 old and a little warped but brand new that's just poor customer service. You should check into getting a custom board made they are the same price range as the boos and much nicer. I have had 2 boos blocks split one was within the first year and the 2nd took 3-4 yrs but it is splitting right now. Worst part is it's not splitting on the edges it's coming apart in the middle in several places which just shows poor quality.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Customer is always right
    Try cutting on a board that spins like a top.  All I wanted was a flat board, or at least one I could put on a towel to stop it from rocking and spinning.  Seems reasonable to me.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If I wanted a warped board I would get a cheap jobby from walmart.  Not a 2.25" thick board advertised as heirloom.

In a year or two, fine.  I'll try to straighten it.  Out of the box?  No thank you.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm just trolling ya man.  It should straighten out after their treatment though.  But might take a week or two.  Unless they used green wood to build it.
    Options
    Btw, here is my daily board.  Never had an issue.  Been in humid climates and dry climates.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I'm just trolling ya man.  It should straighten out after their treatment though.  But might take a week or two.  Unless they used green wood to build it.
    I know.  You get me everytime too!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    "Oz, get that thing soaked in mineral oil and out in the warm sun to open it up, bow up.  Put some weight it in the middle...should straighten up"

Let's be real, you would have thrown the board in the trash and written the company off over 1/8" bow. Just like the clumps in the rub. But you expect him to try and fix his $200+ gift because it "should" straighten up. Funny guy you are.  
    Let us, be real.
    Wood can be fixed.
    Denaturation of sh!t rub, cannot.

$10 bottle of rub vs high end end grain.
    Brilliant comparison.
    The kicker is, being wise enough, to know when, to pull the plug.

Why not try their recommendations, then proceed further if necessary?  Owner has zero money invested.  I had more with my bottle of rub.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first warped board Boos has encountered.

There is a seconds store in Effingham.

Had a Pelican cooler warp this year. Was quite a process, flashlight pics, field destroy pics, shipping the first replacement back due to stripped latch, getting a second replacement.  I can't really blame them for those steps.  Shipping these bulkier, heavier items are not cheap.  In the end, Pelican took care of it.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."