Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket SS?

Options
I want to buy a Kick Ash basket for my large. Is there any reason to pay $40 extra for stainless steel? I already think $60 is steep but I don't want to have to replace it after a year. Does the regular version look like it will last for years?

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've head mine for over a year (probably closer to 2). It's rusty but 100% functional. No signs of wearing out in the next few years.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I personally would spring for the SS if that's an option. 
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Well, I just noticed Firecraft carries the regular version with free shipping this week. No SS. That makes buying the SS version $50 more from another source. Regular version for me!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Do you think the SS version will last twice as long as the regular one? If you do, then spring for the SS version. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have one with 2-3 years of use and yes is rusty but I feel confident it will last 10 years with no problem.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Regular is holding on just fine. Heck they'll be something bigger and better on the market before this wears out...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I have one if the first regular models and it's just fine after years
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Not like you put food on the KAB, who cares if it shows some rust.....
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    We had one of the original ones from when they were first available, not the heavy duty, KAB and it had rusted pretty badly. When I saw on here that they had the SS back in stock, we jumped on it. When it arrived, we were impressed with the quality. Of course, we are in a high humidity area, but we egg regularly, so not sure if that had any bearing on the rust in the original. So far, we are very pleased with the SS model.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    if you can deal without the idea of a basket, Smokeware makes a charcoal grate in SS. The brand name is FishBones. Its like 28 bucks at my local Ace Hardware. definitely will save you some cash in that regards. 
    LBGE circa 2016
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    For what it's worth, mines three years old, the original thin metal one, and still holding. (But barely)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm just surprised they don't sell a gold plated one for $750.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina  $750 for golf one no way....I'd go platinum for just a few hundred more.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2