Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Twas the night before christmas and... wtf brisket, heeeelp.

sllofoot
sllofoot Posts: 13
So, I put a 10-lb'er on at around 5, thinking it'd be about right for lunch tomorrow.   I'm sitting here a mere  7.5 hours later and the IT on the flat is 201.  Gulp.  That's way faster than I had planned on.  Egg hasn't been over 260 (I was aiming for 250) at the grate.   

So, what did I do wrong, and how do you advise I fix it?   It's still 11.5 hours from time to dig in and that's way too long for a FTC, I reckon.  Hell, I could do another one at that rate in the time I have left.   Very frustrating.
Floydada, TX.
One large green dragon egg that refuses to hatch but occasionally spits out delicious meat.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You have three options, maybe 4. 

1. If you have a cooler with a gasket, like an RTIC, Yeti, Engle dry box, etc.  Wrap it in foil and baton down the lid.  In the morning, it should still be above 140...put it in the oven at the warming temp (lowest it goes, usually around 150-170).  Should be fine.

2. Just wrap it up and put it in your oven at the warmer temp.

3. Refrigerate and warm it up in the morning.

4. Cook another at 5AM (good luck if you have to buy it).

I'd just do 1 or, if you don't have a good cooler or cambro, 2.

I've gone over 10 hours in a cooler.   You can pre-warm the cooler with some boiling water and it will stay warm longer.
    You should be fine.
    No worries!  Oven have warming feature or can it be set to 145-170.  If so, let it cool for 30 minutes and toss it in.  I've held briskets for 10-12 hours in the warmer and they've been perfect.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • That's great news, guys.  Thanks for the tips and the amazingly fast response time.   This place never fails to deliver.
    Floydada, TX.
    One large green dragon egg that refuses to hatch but occasionally spits out delicious meat.