Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Christmas card rant.

Options
Stopped by CVS and Rite Aid at lunch to pick up a Christmas card. The halfway decent Hallmark and American Greetings cards were $5.99, $6.99, $7.99, $8.99 and more, for a piece of heavy card stock with some stuff printed on it. Get one with a couple of cents worth of glitter on it and it is $6.99 and up.
I just am not doing that anymore. Yes, I could buy it without giving it a second thought, but I did give it a second thought. It will get read once, get me a hug and thank you, then get tossed.
I might as well roll down the truck window and start throwing cash out the window, almost the same ROI.
I'll run across a nice, inexpensive card somewhere with a nice sentiment printed on it and go ahead and get it, but I just am not paying what I consider to be a ridiculous price for cards anymore.
Rant over.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Send eCards or give to a few charities - we get a huge stack of cards in their fund-drive mailers each year.   Dollar store.  It's the thought that counts.
    Options
    Print homemade cards.

costco has good deals on greeting cards!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • spray
    spray Posts: 57
    Options
    What nola said.  I get greeting cards a few times a year from Paralyzed Vets, an organization we've donated to for several years now.  We get all the cards and address labels we could ever use, and the money goes to better cause than Hallmark.
    Large BGE and MiniMax in St. Petersburg, FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Why not make make some with your kids? Cheaper, more fun, and more appreciated.

I never use the labels,etc that charities send me... Because they invariably spell my name incorrectly.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I stopped cards years ago.  No family photo cards.  No cards on presents. Nothing.   The kids this year decided to write the messages on the presents themselves, and thus far, everyone has loved it and kept the wrapping paper!  (kids are 6 and 9, so their penmanship is also easier to fit on a large box vs. a small card.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Here's a cleaned up version of a Christmas card my Dad's friend sent on computer paper years ago:

My Mom still has it to this day. He has since passed on but it fit his personality perfect. He would have agreed with you on the whole Christmas card ordeal. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Wilma likes to send a family picture every year.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Shutterfly

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I get a kick out of the people who immediately flip the card over to see if it is a Hallmark. I make note of that when I see it, and then make sure to send them the cheapest cards I can find.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @WeberWho - I actually still have a business card sized hard copy of that "card" (without the edit) that I received in 1981.  It was done in color.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    The coolest card I have ever seen was done up like a business card. All it said was Bill Peterson, Since 1974, and his phone number.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    My wife still sends Christmas cards along with a hand written comment on most all of them. She bought a stack of boxes years ago after Christmas when a Hallmark store was going out of business so she really got a super bargain like for $1.50 per box of 24. She still has 6 boxes! Then every year we seem to lose more friends to the grim reaper so this year she only sent 31 cards. We have had a standing agreement for eons that if we will be seeing friends in person over the holidays we do not send a card - just makes sense! 

We get a real chuckle though every year the neighbor directly across the street mails us a card even though our mail boxes are a mere 15 feet apart!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'm surprised sending actual Christmas cards through the mail is still a thing.

Phoenix 
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

When I was a kid we used to get a ton of cards, so many that my Mom would buy this kit with colored string and little clothes pins. She would then hang them on the string all over the living room. We must have gotten 50 or more every year. I used to help her address and stuff envelopes.

Nice memories.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    i do it the old fashion way, i get half into the bottle and call them =)  bet they wish they just got a card
    =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkpJbGykoA

This is one of the "focus test" shots from last year.  It's one of my favorites.

Flint, Michigan
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    blasting said:

I'm surprised sending actual Christmas cards through the mail is still a thing.

+1 - shocked at the ones I get, some from people I haven't spoken to or seen in a long time.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com