Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First prime rib roast @ 10 lbs bone in

Options
BGE XL - I would like to smoke the roast. Looking for any suggestions on best dome temp and how long it will take to reach 130 meat temp. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You are looking at about 3-4 hours cooking at 225-250º.  There will be some carryover to account for.  Times seem to vary quite a bit, so check internal temps earlier than you might expect an keep an eye on it.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• KYJeff
    KYJeff Posts: 31
    Options
    low and slow.  10 lbs is a big roast.  something to keep in mind you can always cut it in to two roasts if part of the family is more medium than medium rare.  I cook mine on 200-225 at 200 a 10 lb roast would at least take 6 hours.  if you don't have a thermometer monitoring the temp the last 10 degrees will go the quickest.  cooking at 200-225 the meat does not continue to cook much once you pull it.  If you take it to 130 I would not tent it at all.  Are you going for medium rare or medium?  If you are going for medium rare probe in different spots.  If you hit 130 anywhere near the center pull the roast.  I pull mine at 125 but that is all preference.  Post some pictures when you're done.  Good luck!    
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Little smoke goes a long way on this cut in my opinion - happy egging!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    130 is pushing the low end of medium.  If you cook it slow it will still look medium rare.
    I cook whole Boneless Rib eye a lot and they weigh 10 lbs plus and only take 4 hours max to get to 130 IT. You really need to keep an eye on it after about 3 to 3.5 hours. They are really simple and very good. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    KYJeff said:
    low and slow.  10 lbs is a big roast.  something to keep in mind you can always cut it in to two roasts if part of the family is more medium than medium rare.  I cook mine on 200-225 at 200 a 10 lb roast would at least take 6 hours.  if you don't have a thermometer monitoring the temp the last 10 degrees will go the quickest.  cooking at 200-225 the meat does not continue to cook much once you pull it.  If you take it to 130 I would not tent it at all.  Are you going for medium rare or medium?  If you are going for medium rare probe in different spots.  If you hit 130 anywhere near the center pull the roast.  I pull mine at 125 but that is all preference.  Post some pictures when you're done.  Good luck!    
    Roasts don't take longer to cook when they get larger. Not when they are at least as lobg as wide

a one ton rib eye would be about a football field long. If the cooking grid were the football field, it would take no longer to cook than a six pounder

heat comes in from the sides. Ends too of course, but the heat from the sides will get to the middle first
  • Little Steven
    Options
    pigskin73 said:
    BGE XL - I would like to smoke the roast. Looking for any suggestions on best dome temp and how long it will take to reach 130 meat temp. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

If by "smoke" you mean cook it at low temp with a bit of wood flavour, I've found roughly 25 minutes per pound at 250*. You have to sorta guess what the weight is at the thickest point to where the length is equal to the "diameter" or use around six pounds or so and cook to temp. I wouldn't "smoke" an expensive piece of meat.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Take the above to the bank from @Little Steven regarding the cook time for the L vs D GWN math.  Above all-pull when you hit the target temp. Have fun and enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Differnt strokes for different folks, time maybe 3 hours max with the bones off and the roast tied to be round. Much easier to carve and the whole outside can be rubbed and seared after the cook. 
    The bones make agreat au jus for the next roast. 
    Enjoy!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pigskin73
    Options
    Thanks  for all the input .The roast turned out awesome. It took 4 1/2 hours at 225. Pulled at 128. Wrapped in foil in a cooler 30 min. Hope everyone had a great day and Happy New Year!!!!