Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What not to do with your new FoodSaver.

Options
OK, I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer and here is proof.
At a Christmas gathering last night some friends gave us a freshly baked loaf of apple cinnamon bread from a local bakery. We had a slice each for breakfast this morning and will do the same tomorrow. It is delicious, just fantastically yummy. Then, brilliant me decided to save some of it for later using the new FoodSaver. 
Carefully cut a couple of really nice, thick pieces, prepped my storage bag and then hit the vac/seal button and promptly sealed it right up, vacuuming out all the air and crushing the bread at the same time. It could not be flatter if I stomped it. Lesson learned...you don't seal up fresh bread in the vacuum bags. Maybe that is what the optional canisters are for.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You're not the first, nor will you be the last to do something bad happens with food saver. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Don't feel bad, but if you plan to use your FS in the future to protect soft goods like that FS offers several styles of containers with lids with ports that you attach a tubing to that works great. I have some canisters, a marinading container and some other styles as well.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bigbadben
    Options
    Freeze it first.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    Freeze it first.  
    And freeze anything (eg pulled pork) with moisture first, in the FS bag before food saving it.  This prevents fluid migration into the seal which compromises the seal.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Does a Food Saver not allow you to manually stop the suction before "crush depth" and then seal?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bohemian
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Does a Food Saver not allow you to manually stop the suction before "crush depth" and then seal?
    You can stop the suction and seal, but you will still have air in your package, and it would not be truly vacuum sealed. The air in the package would cause freezer burn quicker, and defeat the purpose of vacuum sealing.
    Frank

XL BGE
    Spring Hill, FL
  • bohemian
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bigbadben said:
    Freeze it first.  
    And freeze anything (eg pulled pork) with moisture first, in the FS bag before food saving it.  This prevents fluid migration into the seal which compromises the seal.
    Correct. These kind of things seal best in the bags. Also the containers with the hose attachments are great for sealing liquids, like soups and stews.
    Frank

XL BGE
    Spring Hill, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Bread doesn't do very well in the fridge...goes stale way faster.  But pastry breads are a different animal, more like cake.  Put them in a zip lock and throw in the fridge.
    Options
    Bread doesn't do very well in the fridge...goes stale way faster.  But pastry breads are a different animal, more like cake.  Put them in a zip lock and throw in the fridge.
    But freezing bread does work ok.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    bohemian said:
    HeavyG said:
    You can stop the suction and seal, but you will still have air in your package, and it would not be truly vacuum sealed. The air in the package would cause freezer burn quicker, and defeat the purpose of vacuum sealing.
    I'd agree if one is looking for long term storage in the freezer.

If you are just looking to keep something in the freezer for a couple or three weeks or so you don't have to remove all the air and freezer burn isn't going to be a problem.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I have also learned that taco shells are also not a good choice to shrink wrap. If the Mrs didn't pitch them I will try to add a picture. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    RRP said:
    Don't feel bad, but if you plan to use your FS in the future to protect soft goods like that FS offers several styles of containers with lids with ports that you attach a tubing to that works great. I have some canisters, a marinading container and some other styles as well.
    The canisters are a great solution to this problem. Just be careful, the original canister designs are very weak and prone to crack or implode in your refrigerator or freezer.  They have recently designed new canisters that are stronger with more reinforcement so they won't crack.  I had one of their cheese grater canisters that imploded in my refrig causing a mess. I contacted Food Saver and they sent me a replacement. That one lasted about 1 month until it cracked while storing some potato chips on the shelf in our pantry. They sent me one of their new canisters as a replacement for that one. Other old canisters also cracked.  From reading reviews on Amazon, it seems this is a common complaint.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited December 2016
    Options
    thanks for the reminder  :)

canuckland
  • mindfulwanderer
    Options
    I have been using a Food Saver to vacuum seal various foods for about 3 years. Your experience with bread is unfortunately the norm. Yes there are different bags for different applications. BTW on a different blog I came across a suggestions, which worked for me and you may want to try.  Tightly wrap the bread or pastry with plastic wrap, freeze until stiff and then vac seal using the pulse function. Hope this works for you.
  • gmac
    Options
    gmac said:
    I have also learned that taco shells are also not a good choice to shrink wrap. If the Mrs didn't pitch them I will try to add a picture

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Time for salsa or guac! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bohemian
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    bohemian said:
    HeavyG said:
    I'd agree if one is looking for long term storage in the freezer.

If you are just looking to keep something in the freezer for a couple or three weeks or so you don't have to remove all the air and freezer burn isn't going to be a problem.
    Yes, I agree with you. The bread would not be crushed and it would be good for short freezer storage.  But if you wanted to save it until next Christmas, that would be a different story.
    Frank

XL BGE
    Spring Hill, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    bohemian said:

Correct. These kind of things seal best in the bags. Also the containers with the hose attachments are great for sealing liquids, like soups and stews.
    I make and freeze a lot of soup and here is my trick. Cut the bottom out of a plastic glass and insert it in the FS bag and then pour in a pint of soup. That keeps the bag walls clean. I then fold the bag over and temporarily close with a chip clamp. Into the freezer those go and once frozen within 24 hours I seal them! As for reheating I let the bag thaw and then place in a Dutch oven with water and warm up.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We just pour liquids into zip-loc freezer bags, push out the air and zip close.  We make broth/stock frequently and store it like this, stack them in the freezer - they're like big flat ice cubes and that shape lets them thaw out quickly - more surface to volume ratio.
    Just got my sealer Food saver on Black Friday. Ended up paying $65 for the machine, a bunch of bags, marinator, jar sealer, and a few other goodies. Retail for everything was about $200.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Did this with my extra fire starters 
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I thought Flat Bread was popular!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    RRP said:
    bohemian said:

I make and freeze a lot of soup and here is my trick. Cut the bottom out of a plastic glass and insert it in the FS bag and then pour in a pint of soup. That keeps the bag walls clean. I then fold the bag over and temporarily close with a chip clamp. Into the freezer those go and once frozen within 24 hours I seal them! As for reheating I let the bag thaw and then place in a Dutch oven with water and warm up.

A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks for this tip, will be using on my next batch of chili! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    RRP said:
    bohemian said:

Good tip that I would have never thought of. Thank you.
  • gmac
    Options
    RRP said:
    bohemian said:

Love this idea. Been struggling with mine getting a consistent seal, even when just doing the first seal on a bag. This will help a lot, maybe even for things that aren't liquid. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bigbadben said:
    Freeze it first.  
    Use a slightly larger bag. Fold part of a paper towel and put it between the meat and the seal. It will absorb the moisture that's headed for the seal.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bigbadben
    Options
    RRP said:
    bohemian said:

I fold the top edge of the bag outward before adding anything. After you fold it back up it should be clean. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    toast it, freeze it, bag it, can be reheated in a toaster ;)=) im putting that up there with instant frozen p&j sandwiches that can be found in the frozen section =) with that bread it would have been eaten day one, good breads a weakness. whatever happened to bread boxes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it