Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Prime Rib Help..

Options
I won a 6 Lb prime rib at work today. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if it is bone in or not. My Wife said to put it on the egg. Been using the egg off and on now. Steaks mostly. I would like to try the prime rib though. Now there is only the 2 of us, so we won't want it to big. Thought of maybe cutting it into 3 2 Lb chunks. I have been reading different threads of others here. How should I cook this 2 Lb piece?? Fat cap up. Just not sure on any of it. I know to use the plate setter, with a pan under it to catch drippings. Do I put anything, like apple juice in the pan?? I was thinking of putting something like Montreal Steak Seasoning around the edges. Should I sear the cut sides?? Not sure there either.. Thanks..
I live in Duluth, Minnesota

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    My advice is to not overthink, instead watch this awesome video by Babyback Maniac https://youtu.be/jTTTD2LGWR0
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    A 2 pound piece is a thick steak. Cook it like a steak.  Your 6 pound roast is probably a 3 rib roast, which I consider a small roast. I would cook it whole. Eat what you want, keep some in the frig for sandwiches, and freeze some dinner sized pieces for later.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Leftovers make an excellent vegetable beef soup. Did that with ours from Thanksgiving, did not last long, at all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • slantback37
    Options
    Turns out they gave me a bigger piece of meat. I have a 15 1/2 Lb slab. The bones were cut out. The marks are still where the bones were. Would I make cuts where the bones were?? I don't know where to cut it either..
    I live in Duluth, Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Here's an excellent link about cooking beef roasts.  Give it a look when you can:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can cook 2 pound roasts, no problem.  Low and slow. Indirect.  There will be almost zero drippings unless you like your PR medium well or higher. No water or drip pan needed.  Salt and pepper or whatever you like on the outside.  Smoke at 200-225, maybe a spot of oak.
    Turns out they gave me a bigger piece of meat. I have a 15 1/2 Lb slab. The bones were cut out. The marks are still where the bones were. Would I make cuts where the bones were?? I don't know where to cut it either..
    Cut the full length in half if you want four ends (people fight over ends).

if there are no bones attached, and you are roasting it, make your slices however thick you want. Or steaks, if you are cutting it up while raw, however thick you want.