Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV 27day dry aged prime rib in the making...

Options
I've had two  3-bone prime ribs dry aging for some time now.plan was to pull one at about 3 weeks and see what it was about. Ok I'm a little past that target, but what the heck. 

Plan is to SV at 132 for about 6hrs tomorrow then sear it. Lovingly massaged with EEVO , rubbed with DP Raising the Steaks, and bagged. let's see what happens.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I'll be surprised if it's any good.  You should just leave it in the fridge until my son is driving through Houston in a few days so he can take it off your hands.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yup, certain disaster in the condom ;). That should be great!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Awesome.
    Standing by cali, looking forward to your results, and thoughts.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I'll be surprised if it's any good.  You should just leave it in the fridge until my son is driving through Houston in a few days so he can take it off your hands.
    This is destined to be tragic. The evidence will likely be long gone by the time he rolls through. But let me know if he needs a meal or a bed for the night.

Of course, he can stay longer... if he brings beer. 

• caliking
    Options
    Focker said:
    Awesome.
    Standing by cali, looking forward to your results, and thoughts.

This is very much an experiment. Not entirely sure what I'm up to. But how bad could it be?

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Jelous!  Can't wait to see the results.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    This is destined to be tragic. The evidence will likely be long gone by the time he rolls through. But let me know if he needs a meal or a bed for the night.

Of course, he can stay longer... if he brings beer. 
    Of course he'll have beer. He can't come home without beer for his pops. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Sounds like your day is going to be better than mine! 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    caliking said:
    This is very much an experiment. Not entirely sure what I'm up to. But how bad could it be?
    Please share the results.  I've really struggled with SV'd Ribeye because of the texture of the fat.  I'd love to know all the details of your successes 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

this is a great experiment.  I wonder how much liquid will come out in the SV and how this will affect the outside of the roast?

I hope security didn't hassle you as you smuggled it out of the office...

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    caliking said:
    Please share the results.  I've really struggled with SV'd Ribeye because of the texture of the fat.  I'd love to know all the details of your successes 
    I hear ya. SV ribeyes have been good, but I don't think they surpass a properly grilled steak IMO. There's something about the texture of a grilled ribeye that just tastes better. Recently did a caveman style ribeye, and that's been my best one yet.

I did try a SV  wet/dry/turbo ageing (or something) with a flatiron steak a while back, but have not tried that with a ribeye. Would probably be worth a shot though.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168974/sv-flat-iron-steak

• caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:

this is a great experiment.  I wonder how much liquid will come out in the SV and how this will affect the outside of the roast?

I hope security didn't hassle you as you smuggled it out of the office...

Same here. Didn't have much of a fat cap on this baby roast, so the outside was pretty leathery. Was thinking I would have to trim it off a bit as it would be tough, but figured it might soften up in the SV. 

And no trouble from security... "its good to be the king!"

• Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Flank looks perfect cali.

Enzynes, shmenzymes.
    But the pros state nothing is happening, just taking the chill off with hot tub temps?

Cooks Illustrated said otherwise.
    Thomas Keller, MC too?

I'm cornfused?

I'm with you on the SV texture vs grilled.  Had pretty good results meeting in the middle at 108 for a couple of hours, allowing for more grill time.  Haven't done dry aged, a different animal.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    once again.

i have more than once advocated sous vide for everything that everyone says it does.

i said that I only hot tub maybe 45 minutes or so to take the chill out, prepatory to my sear.  i don't go long enough with it to get any of the enzyme boost that cooks' illustrated advocated way back when this became the new 'thing'.

i do not doubt their expertise or results.  i have mentioned the reason they do it, rather than pronounced it BS.  i have also repeatedly suggested sous vide for those who want to control temps for longer periods for the results that its fans are seeing.

hot tubbing for 45 minutes isn't "sous vide".  it's warming up a steak.

first i thought you were being funny.

then i thought you were trying to be a d!ck.

now i just think you're a fvcking idiot.

• Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    once again.

i have more than once advocated sous vide for everything that everyone says it does.

i said that I only hot tub maybe 45 minutes or so to take the chill out, prepatory to my sear.  i don't go long enough with it to get any of the enzyme boost that cooks' illustrated advocated way back when this became the new 'thing'.

i do not doubt their expertise or results.  i have mentioned the reason they do it, rather than pronounced it BS.  i have also repeatedly suggested sous vide for those who want to control temps for longer periods for the results that its fans are seeing.

hot tubbing for 45 minutes isn't "sous vide".  it's warming up a steak.

first i thought you were being funny.

then i thought you were trying to be a d!ck.

now i just think you're a fvcking idiot.

Now we're finally getting somewhere. 

So this enzyme activity in 120 deg tap water, holds until the 45 min mark, then the magic happens?  Why pull out early?

And at what time does HT become SV aka water bath, 45 min?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    Options
    Re: the flank steak, I don't know if it made a difference. Never did a controlled experiment to compare. I do know that it turned out damn good though.

And... Get a room, girls. Or at least your own thread :smiley:

• Focker
    Options
    Thx cali, my apologies.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited December 2016
    Options

deleted

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Looks good @caliking!  It'll be interesting no matter what.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike