Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Georgia Made Cast Iron Egg

Options
I was at a local dealer for BGE and saw another brand of cooker.
It was made from cast iron. It looked good. 
http://www.goldenscastironcooker.com/

Has anyone else seen one in person?

I don't think I would buy one, but they are good old USA made cast iron.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Never seen one in person. Don't know anyone that has one yet.

They've been discussed a bit here and other forums. Certainly an interesting grilling option.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

330lbs, 3/8" thick walls and its on sale for $1700.

I like their cart, which is comparable to the BGE nest. Seems more sturdy

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    The cast iron firebox looks interesting. I wonder what they cost? Other then that, I like to fact I can touch my egg at almost any temperature and not get a 3rd degree burn and I'm thinking that can't be done using cast iron.

It does look interesting though.
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    The cast iron firebox looks interesting. I wonder what they cost? Other then that, I like to fact I can touch my egg at almost any temperature and not get a 3rd degree burn and I'm thinking that can't be done using cast iron.

My thought as well.  Why cast iron?  It's gonna be crazy hot.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Well, at least it will melt the snow off of it. Maybe help out northern cookers.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Not only the heat but cast iron can crack at high heats and it's not very good at holding up in the elements unless it's maybe coated with something on the outside? Doesn't seem like a great idea. The cast iron fire box will crack for sure at the heats it's going to see.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That design looks familiar.......and that cart makes it look like it should be popping popcorn.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I know a guy who was on the development team down at the foundry.  I had similar concerns when he and I were discussing it.  I think I would rather stick with my egg.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Well, at least it will melt the snow off of it. Maybe help out northern cookers.
    not really, we need heat retention not heat loss, which is what is happening when you have a very hot surface.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • NavalAV8R
    Options
    Looks like a great solution in search of a problem.
    North Augusta, SC
    LBGE, offset smoker
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If it had a golden dragons on each side, you could brand yourself like Kwai Chang Caine when you graduated from the Shaolin Temple.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Antique wood burning stoves were cast iron, used hard, and they still can be spotted out in the wild.

The high heat pitting you see on old CI pans from the stove eye, would be a concern for the high heat firebox.

Applaud their efforts.  Time will tell.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    not really, we need heat retention not heat loss, which is what is happening when you have a very hot surface.
    Good point.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Doesn't Big Green Egg sell cookers?
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Lit said:
    Not only the heat but cast iron can crack at high heats and it's not very good at holding up in the elements unless it's maybe coated with something on the outside? Doesn't seem like a great idea. The cast iron fire box will crack for sure at the heats it's going to see.
    Apparently they coat the outside with a hi temp paint?

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I'm waiting for the small, portable one.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Powder coat should handle rust on exterior and the interior who knows. It's not cheap enough for us retired folk to buy one and see. Also no mention of warranty.
    Cooking on the coast
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    + 1 for USA made but other than that...don't need it.
    Seattle, WA
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    Powder coat should handle rust on exterior and the interior who knows. It's not cheap enough for us retired folk to buy one and see. Also no mention of warranty.
    Everything is on their page. Just gotta look around...

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    "As to the warranty, there is a lifetime warranty on all cast iron components; 5yr on all non-cast iron metal components; and 1yr on the temperature gauge and sealing gaskets."

The warranty is pretty comparable to other Komado style cookers.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I think it will be really hard for the cast iron egg to gain traction in the market given BGE's head start and good reputation.
    I do wish them well, and hope they succeed.  
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options

the (insulative) ceramic is a contributing factor to the BGE's performance too. 

i wonder though how long the fire box would last, given the fire grate's tendency to crack in a BGE anyway.  the whole bowl getting hot? didn't see any relief for expansion.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,184
    Options
    "Additionally, cast iron's radiant and thermal properties provide even heating and precise temperature control."

These folks are full of crap. Cast iron is terrible for even heating. 
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    "Additionally, cast iron's radiant and thermal properties provide even heating and precise temperature control."

These folks are full of crap. Cast iron is terrible for even heating. 
    It would be good for heating spaces outside of the cooker.  Might be able to do a direct swap if a guy has a wood stove that bites the dust.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeah, they probably made a bunch of these and never tested it.....

I feel I could do a good job mocking the BGE using the Akorn as a benchmark.
    Options

I do like all the armchair quarterbacking attempting to point out the problems/flaws of a cast iron cooker made by a company that has been a cast iron foundry for well over a hundred years.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I do like all the armchair quarterbacking attempting to point out the problems/flaws of a cast iron cooker made by a company that has been a cast iron foundry for well over a hundred years.
    I'm actually with you on this.  Who would have thunk it?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • kwdickert
    Options
    @GregW Are you in Columbus? That dealer on 2nd ave?
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Just because they have manufacturing expertise doesn't mean they have komado grill design expertise.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    For whatever it's worth I know one of the owners owns a BGE as I sold him a gasket! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.