Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am an idiot.....and there are some awfully nice people in this world.....

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited December 2016 in Off Topic
I have had one of those days....starts out with heavy rain traffic and accident delays.....barely made my flight. Connected in a nearby city....which is where this story begins. I grabbed a quick salad at a restaurant (name an subjects to remain anonymous) and upon paying, decided to stick my receipts in my bag...as opposed to my wallet. I fly to San Antonio and exit the plane, making sure I have everything....well except my wallet. Return to the gate and they check the plane...no wallet. After thinking through it...I determined I must have left it at the restaurant. I had a receipt for lunch, and a boarding pass with my name on it....nothing more.

Have you ever tried to call a large busy airport to track down a lost item from one of the food establishments? It ain't easy....and after speaking to many people.....I get someone (lets call him Joe) who is in charge of "lost and found" in the terminal restaurants. Well he use to be in charge, until he got a promotion.....but said he was gonna help me regardless. After holding for quite a long time.....he was able to track down my wallet, and and retrieve it into his own hands. He then told me he would overnight it to me at the hotel I am staying at. I was instructed that I was not to mention this to the higher ups....as this is out of policy...but he realizes the difficult position I am in. He provided me a tracking number.....problem solved for my return travel.....assuming there are no glitches with the overnight company.

I called my hotel to see if they would pay my cab bill....and pass it through to my room folio. Well this couldn't be done and they provide no airport shuttle service. Luckily they had my cc card on file....and after speaking with several higher ups....they agreed to let me check in with my boarding pass as my proof of Id. Now I figure I got a roof over my head...and a means to eat. Ok....making progress. Now my challenge is finding a way to get from the airport to a downtown hotel.....with no money, Id or credit cards. After asking around, it was suggested that I see if the baggage folks would provide me with a cab voucher (normally for folks who get stranded at the airlines fault). The supervisor at AA took it outside of the company...and had a Uber driver provide me a ride at her personal expense. The Uber driver got me to the hotel...and then offered to pick me up tomorrow at no charge. Wow....I continued to be amazed. When he dropped me off, he offered me a few bucks which at this point was not needed. Unbelievable I am saying to myself. I got to the hotel and checked in....and finally I feel I am good for the night. Upon getting to my room, I find they had upgraded me to a suite and had a nice note in my room wishing me a better evening. That is the end of the "I am an idiot story". 

Now let me say that I had the nicest folks on all sides of my quagmire go out of their way to assist me; even taking some personal risk on my behalf. I got myself in to this predicament, and the kindness of others got me through it. Some went out of there way to assist me. I will follow up appropriately with each of them upon my return....you can count on that.

My apologies for using this forum as a pulpit to publicly say thanks to people I don't know and will not likely read it here. I want you to know that I have been humbled today, and want to say thank you to all who helped....I truly appreciate the generosity of mankind for helping a stranded idiot....in my time of need. My message to all of you is help someone out this Holiday Season.......I appreciate the actions of those who assisted me. Ya'll be kind.

Robin

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• EggObsessed
    Options
    That is a wonderful story!  Thank you for sharing it.  Amazing!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Very nice post Robin. You are a good guy, and you get treated accordingly. I have no doubt you would have helped others in the same way you were helped. I hope tomorrow is a better day. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    You've described something I've experienced more times than I can count. There are a hell of a lot of great human beings out there. We should all try to be one of them whenever we can.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'd say you're getting what you deserve

despite being a low down dirty, cheater in a wing ding.  =)

you're a good hippy otherwise. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    As above, thanks for sharing your story and the efforts people made to help you out of quite a tight situation.  I know you will follow-up.  But I also know you will pay it forward and those who read this should be inspired to do the same.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

I'm in no way surprised! you have always been kind to me........... :) Mom always said what goes around comes around! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options

I'm in no way surprised! you have always been kind to me........... :) Mom always said what goes around comes around! :)

Well said @Jupiter Jim.  @northGAcock is an awesome fella.  Always going outta the way to help others. Hope your trip gets better, sir. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Great story! Thanks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Outstanding! What a day... So glad to hear that you crossed paths with the right people today.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    What a great story. Glad it worked out so well for you and kudos to everyone who helped you out along the way.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Robin, you..................storyteller!  Glad your good brother and that good folks were so helpful.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Awesome story... makes you feel good!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this story. We often hear so many bad stories - government, schools, law enforcement - you name it, that we believe bad is the norm. It's nice to be reminded that most people are kind and helpful and compassionate. Stories like this make each of us more likely to respond kindly toward others in need. 
    I'm glad things work out for you. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Karma dude. You got a lot more good coming your way. Lot of good folks out there, and you are amongst the best I know.
    Glad things worked out for you. Peace brother.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    So many different people going out of their way to help a stranger. That is one of the best stories I have ever heard. There are good people in this world.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I appreciate all of your kind remarks. My intent was not to call attention to my ills (which I probably pissed and moaned a bit along the way)...but to Call out those who offered of themselves. There were other acts of kindness along the way that didn't get mentioned.....as I was going on a mite already. That said, my message is intended to bring awareness to the good, and know that I am in good company with many of you on this forum. Go forth and perform acts of kindness....it will make us all better people.

On a side note...I had some killa street taco's and Chicken Tortilla Soup tonight. I love the cuisine down here in South Texas. Even the hotel food was excellent.

• Ag83
    Ag83 Posts: 34
    Options
    My apologies for using this forum as a pulpit to publicly say thanks to people I don't know and will not likely read it here.
    Absolutely no reason to apologize for posting that story. One of the most enjoyable things I've read in a good long while and thank you for telling it here. Hope things go better for you tomorrow. And big-time props to all those who helped you in your time of need.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    After this last bruising election season, I've been very down about things.  Robin, your story is fantastic and I really needed it, right about now.
    Thank You.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• northGAcock
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    What he's not telling y'all is that he was wearing a gamecock tee shirt and everyone just felt bad for him on account of that. 
    Was actually a windbreaker.....but you were spot on.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Great post Robin and yes you are an idiot, thats why I love you.... =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Absolutely awesome story!   Love it when things work out.  Lots of good people out there.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Robin great story.  Even a jerkoff like myself do my best to do right by people.  
    Help somebody when you can is a good thing and feels good too.
    Thanks for sharing. :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Robin great story.  Even a jerkoff like myself do my best to do right by people.  
    Help somebody when you can is a good thing and feels good too.
    Thanks for sharing. :plus_one:
    You are certainly a jerkoff!  =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    It's fun to be nice to people!  Great Story. Very Holiday Like.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's a awesome story. I'm sure it'll be something you'll never forget. You had your cell didn't you. You should have put out a call for help on the forum. You know one of us Texans would have came a running to help. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Glad you found some nice people who helped you out. Hope you have a nice stay and an uneventful safe trip back. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Fantastic story Robin... WOW !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....