Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork lunch - reheating question

Options

I am providing lunch for our small company at the end of the week.  We're expecting 10 for the meal.  I KNOW it would be best to do an overnight cook so that it's fresh, but that's just not practical. I'll be doing the entire meal. This will be the first time the staff has been exposed to my Egging, so I want it to be as good as I know it can be. What do you think about this idea for the best outcome:

Wednesday, when I don't have to go to the office, I will cook the pork butt. When it is finished I will pull it and then immediately vacuum seal all of it in one big bag. (I have that Food Saver expandable bag material.) Stash it in the fridge until Friday, the day of the lunch.  Come Friday morning put the still-sealed bag of goodness in a crockpot on low(?). I figure it will take several hours for the mass of meat to come up to temp.  At serving time, simply cut open the bag and let folks serve from there, right out of the bag, still in the crockpot. 

Good plan? I know same-day would be best. Don't try to convince me. 

TIA

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• Lo_Gear
    Lo_Gear Posts: 108
    Options
    I use foodsaver bags and hot tub it back .  I've also put a little sauce in the bag and reheated in the microwave and it was still really good 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I usually just dump the contents of the bag in the crockpot and let it ride. Add the sauce if that's your thing. I've always had good success with doing it that way 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For Mom's 100th B-day, I cooked it in advance and vac sealed in smaller bags and refrigerated. At the party, I put the bags in several stock pots of hot water (I forget what temp, but maybe 160°? to reheat. Then served it from a chafing dish, but I imagine a crock pot would work too.

Do not use boiling water. It's not necessary and, depending on the bag, it could melt. Don't ask how I know.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Agree @Lo_Gear I've been food saving to freeze and hot tub for the reheat, don't risk further cooking dry out :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Oh I wouldn't freeze obviously if just doing a day ahead of time.

crock pot good for crowd that size 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf