Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Achiote. Anyone use it?

Lunch today at the Taos Inn. Linda and I had the Achiote Chicken Taco salad. Outstanding! Looked all over Taos and now hope I can find it in Austin. Can't wait to do a spatchcock chicken in it.
Little snow to play in this afternoon at Taos Ski Valley ( love my 4x4 Taco).

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited December 2016
    I got you covered buddy. I'll drop some off when I bring the mini back. I use it all the time. HEB has it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Looks like you're in Canada again Mick. You never even call. I use achiote all the time but you can't get the seeds here. I have the powder and the Salson Goya achiote and use them all the time. Dumped a bunch into the sopa Azteca I made tonight. Beli was gonna send me the seeds but I'm pretty sure he got arrested for trying to export them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I got you covered buddy. I'll drop some off when I bring the mini back. I use it all the time. HEB has it
    Cool. It makes chicken, betting pork as well. 
    Have you used the Mini? 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Looks like you're in Canada again Mick. You never even call. I use achiote all the time but you can't get the seeds here. I have the powder and the Salson Goya achiote and use them all the time. Dumped a bunch into the sopa Azteca I made tonight. Beli was gonna send me the seeds but I'm pretty sure he got arrested for trying to export them.
    Not Canada this time: Taos, New Mexico. 

• It's sold as Anotto paste at HEB 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I've got the one your needing. It's a paste, not a powder.  La Anita... 

Here's my turkey this  year.. Under the skin. Chicken is  the best this way.

I did a pork lion last year and it was great.  Any white meat.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mickey said:
    Looks like you're in Canada again Mick. You never even call. I use achiote all the time but you can't get the seeds here. I have the powder and the Salson Goya achiote and use them all the time. Dumped a bunch into the sopa Azteca I made tonight. Beli was gonna send me the seeds but I'm pretty sure he got arrested for trying to export them.
    Not Canada this time: Taos, New Mexico. 
    That must be coke on those hills blown over from CA?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I use it. One of the ingredients in Cindy Reed's scratch chili recipe is Sazon. I make my own and one of the ingredients is achiote (annatto). Don't remember where I found it, but the brand I have is Badia.

I'll try it on chicken... thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I use it. One of the ingredients in Cindy Reed's scratch chili recipe is Sazon. I make my own and one of the ingredients is achiote (annatto). Don't remember where I found it, but the brand I have is Badia.

I'll try it on chicken... thanks!

For Gawd's sake....shut up!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    I used to pick some up at Fiesta when I was in Tejas.   Didn't know it was at HEB
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95