Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Timing a Brisket

Options
Hey all,

I have a 14 pound brisket that I'm putting in at 250.  Dinner is at 6:30 PM Saturday night.  What is the best time to start it?

Should I overnight it, finishing around 12PM on Saturday, FTC till serving?  Or start it early Saturday morning and worry about it being done on time?

Thoughts?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    You won't make it if you wait until the morning. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Put it on at midnight or thereafter 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I would count on 12 to 14 hours on the egg so going all night would seem to be reasonable.

Gerhard
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    Put it on at 2am at 275 or 300 hundred degrees..should go for ~8/9 hours ..pull it off, wrap it, and place in an oven that is turned off or cooler....let it rest 1 hour before slicing...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    An option-if 14 lbs pre-trim  then likely in the 12-13 lb range after.  If you run at around 250-275*F or so on a calibrated dome thermo you can plan for about 0.8-1.25 hrs/lb   depending on the grade of brisket.  Plan for a good two hour FTC so the latest you want to finish is around 3 PM counting for some time on a cooling rack before FTC.  I would light the BGE around 8-9 PM, get everything stabilized and then toss the brisket on around 1 AM.  See where you are in the AM and go from there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd start up the egg at 5 AM (hate waking up that early on a Sat unless I'm fishing though).  Put it on at 6 AM.  At 275F, it should have a pretty decent bark by 2-3PM.  Bump up the temp a little if it's hanging out in a stall.  Wrap if the bark looks good, will cook a bit faster. 

I like to start off with good smoke around 250F.  Once the meat hits around 140-150, I crank it up to 275-300F.  A brisket that size can be finished easily in 8-9 hours.
    Options
    Midnight at 250. Pull and wrap when done. Better early than late.  Good luck. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'd start up the egg at 5 AM (hate waking up that early on a Sat unless I'm fishing though).  Put it on at 6 AM.  At 275F, it should have a pretty decent bark by 2-3PM.  Bump up the temp a little if it's hanging out in a stall.  Wrap if the bark looks good, will cook a bit faster. 

I like to start off with good smoke around 250F.  Once the meat hits around 140-150, I crank it up to 275-300F.  A brisket that size can be finished easily in 8-9 hours.

Or you could go with this plan, but you can trim the brisket tonight, start the egg tonight, then wake up at 5:45 and rub the brisket and put it on. That way you have less to do in the morning.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker