Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saw this on the SRF site for the hollidays....wonder if any of you have cooked this cut of beef?

Options
The Manhattan Roast

Your experiences would be of interest to me.  I am not familiar with it personally.......but has me intrigued. The description states that it is cut from the NY Strip (full description below picture). Credit for the photo goes to SRF

..... Snake River Farms American Wagyu Manhattan Roast. This unique roast is cut from the same tender section as our New York Strip Steaks. The Manhattan Roast shares the luxurious beef flavor and firm yet tender texture of our New York Strip Steaks. The size is slightly smaller than a typical roast which means it cooks quickly - in as little as an hour. The Manhattan Roast is the perfect size when you have fewer folks at your holiday table. More people coming? Just cook a second roast!

Each roast is hand-tied with kitchen twine to create a uniform shape that cooks evenly and lends an artisanal touch to this elegant cut. Brighten your holiday table with our Manhattan Roast. You’ll love the convenient size and quick cooking time. Your guests will be delighted by the deeply marbled, wonderful complexity and subtle sweetness of American Wagyu beef.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Have never cooked the SRF Wagyu beef, but have purchased a full strip loin from Costco. Cut the larger end into steaks and the smaller end into small roasts. Was quite good as a roast, but better for steaks IMO. If you order let us know how it was. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I have pretty much the same comment. I've also bought the full strip loin and made a large portion of it into a roast.  It was good but not as good as a ribeye roast.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I would do that just like a Prime Rib Roast as that is what it reminds me of. Just a nice rub of Kosher Salt and Pepper and then onto a pan with a grate set high so the heat can flow around it and in the oven at 250* until it hits 110* internal. Set aside and let rise covered to 120* the eat. Makes me hungry just thinking about it. Glad I made Jambalya for dinner tonight.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Cooks Country did an episode on a strip roast(Manhattan) back in 2007 or so. Looked pretty good. They made a chimichurri sauce with it
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Seth explains it in this video

“Snake River Farms - The Home Butcher - NY Strip Loin” from Snake River Farms on Vimeo.

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Seth explains it in this video

“Snake River Farms - The Home Butcher - NY Strip Loin” from Snake River Farms on Vimeo.

Thanks neighbor. Hope all is well over your way. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Just let me know when we should arrive Robin. We can invite @Dyal_SC too but no worries, he'll cancel at the last minute...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That might be worth the drive...
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    A roast is a roast is a roast
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Follow these instructions and you'll be good Robin B) Another rant...hmff ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Wait until we return from Ireland?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    Has anyone had the SRF Prime Rib?....curious if it worth the price....
  • northGAcock
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Follow these instructions and you'll be good Robin B) Another rant...hmff ;)
    Sounds just like something Stike would say.

• SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    So - the story behind this roast is that we're really short on SRF prime ribs this year (we're sold out as of yesterday).  One of our retailers (Lund's and Byerly I think) had us create this a year or so ago in our Double R Ranch beef to sell in their store and it did really well for them.  We decided to bring them in and give them a shot, possibly as a "replacement" for prime rib.  I tried it for the first time about a month ago and I was really impressed.  It's a bit more tender than a traditional prime rib, and while NY cuts typically have slightly less "beefy" flavor than a rib, because it's SRF wagyu and so highly marbled, it doesn't cause any issues in this product.  I also like the size of it, at about 2.5 lbs it's perfect for a dinner of 4-5 people.  For that size gathering I would usually cook a center-cut tenderloin or something along those lines, and honestly, I like this product better.  Anyway, those are my thoughts on the Manhattan Roast!  
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Tak said:
    I did one for Thanksgiving, Low and slow. It was kind of hectic, as we had planned for about 8 folks, then the number went up just a couple of days before the cook, I had to go but a second rib roast.
    I forked over a ton of money at our butcher to get a prime, french cut.
    Cooked them both side by side, on the XL, low and slow, prepped identical.
    In my opinion, and the opinion of others that joined us for dinner that night, there was a noticeable difference between the two.
    SRF was perceived by everyone to be better than the butcher shop. It may have had an advantage, due to having it on hand longer, and able to let it sit in the fridge longer to help make the edges get a bit more crust, helping to keep the moisture in and dry brined longer.
    But the flavor was superior, and the meat much more tender. It was delicious and I will do it again.
    I think it is definitely worth it. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    Options
    SRFShane said:
    So - the story behind this roast is that we're really short on SRF prime ribs this year (we're sold out as of yesterday).  One of our retailers (Lund's and Byerly I think) had us create this a year or so ago in our Double R Ranch beef to sell in their store and it did really well for them.  We decided to bring them in and give them a shot, possibly as a "replacement" for prime rib.  I tried it for the first time about a month ago and I was really impressed.  It's a bit more tender than a traditional prime rib, and while NY cuts typically have slightly less "beefy" flavor than a rib, because it's SRF wagyu and so highly marbled, it doesn't cause any issues in this product.  I also like the size of it, at about 2.5 lbs it's perfect for a dinner of 4-5 people.  For that size gathering I would usually cook a center-cut tenderloin or something along those lines, and honestly, I like this product better.  Anyway, those are my thoughts on the Manhattan Roast!  
    @SRFShane ....whats up man?

Snake River Farms And Double R Ranch

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

• SRFShane
    Options

@SRFShane ....whats up man?

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Unfortunately, I don't know just yet.  Website is having issues, we were unable to take orders, there's some sort of database error causing a problem.  This is the screen we put up when things aren't working and we don't know why :(  

Should be fixed soon.  
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Damn. I was gonna order y'alls Christmas gifts tonight too. Oh well....
  • SRFShane
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Just in the nick of time, we're up and running again...LOL
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeremiah I'll text you my wish list. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    SRFShane said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Just in the nick of time, we're up and running again...LOL
    Good to hear...I'm gonna hold up now and see what @Jeremiah comes through with. Happy to hear he is in the holliday spirit. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    Jeremiah is the hero. 
    Thank you in advance for the gold 20# SRF brisket.
    Pals forever.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Jeremiah is the hero. 
    Thank you in advance for the gold 20# SRF brisket.
    Pals forever.
    Just sent me a receipt for the wagyu sampler he got me. And i have never even met him. 

Many thanks!
  • Jeremiah
    Options

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Tak said:
    Yes. I did the SRF Wagyu last year, was excellent. Cooked to 120 degrees and it was something great. Very enjoyable for a special meal.

That said, I'm thinking about it again this year, but they haven't ran any sales other than 10% off right now, that make me want to jump at it again. Probably just get a prime ribeye sub primal at Costco, cut the ends for steaks and do my own center cut prime rib based on our size needs for the holiday.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    @northGAcock How did you prep this? I have one coming in the mail today and thought about trying it for my virgin Joetisserie cook. I don't want to mess it up and see you have ventured this path.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • northGAcock
    Options
    @northGAcock How did you prep this? I have one coming in the mail today and thought about trying it for my virgin Joetisserie cook. I don't want to mess it up and see you have ventured this path.
    I cooked at around 300-325 indirect if i recall....as this was a while back. I did not use any smoking wood....which is my approach with a Rib Roast as well. I used a coffee rub which was a great match. Watch the meat temp closely as it will cook faster than you might think. Hope this is helpful. Interested in knowing how the Joetisseie works for you on this cook. Also, email me a bite or two will ya?