Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks again Focker!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
Brandon aka @Focker gifted me this Monkey Ward cast iron skillet he said he salvaged from a rust pile. The inside is smooth as glass and is like new despite it's obvious age. I use it indoors exclusively and did so last night making smash burgers. I think this shows once again that cast iron which might appear to a lost cause can be salvaged and have a useful life! Thanks again, Brandon!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Nice. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Glad you're putting that Wags pan to good use my friend. 

Wish I could find more.  Seems like the honey holes are drying up, or they know what they're holdin', even crusty, and asking way too much.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Good on you @Focker !!!   And congrats @RRP , much deserved.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    Options
    oooops I forgot the shiny interior picture! None of my Lodge DOs, skillet or griddle are nearly as smooth as this glass like surface.

• Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    oooops I forgot the shiny interior picture! None of my Lodge DOs, skillet or griddle are nearly as smooth as this glass like surface.

Perfect buddy.  

Now take my hand, I'm gonna lift you up, onto the Shun bandwagon.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I need to find some vintage CI. Love the lodge I have. I wish someone would lift me up to the shun bandwagon. I keep reading and find lovers and haters!  
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    That skillet looks awesome. I have an old one from my mom but I'm not sure its history and I can't identify it.

For starters. I saw this at my local Walmart - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-3-Piece-Plant-Oil-Cast-Iron-Skillet-Set/53987486 . Not bad for $19. Not sure how good it is but may be worth an experiment.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    That skillet looks awesome. I have an old one from my mom but I'm not sure its history and I can't identify it.

For starters. I saw this at my local Walmart - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-3-Piece-Plant-Oil-Cast-Iron-Skillet-Set/53987486 . Not bad for $19. Not sure how good it is but may be worth an experiment.
    Id hold off on those skillets. From the picture you can see that they are not smooth milled and that makes a huge difference for non-stick cooking. Go out to some of the antique stores and look for a Wagner pan or a Griswold. You may have to do a little work to re-season them but the end result is worth the effort. Save your money and do not buy Lodge for the same reason.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Focker
    Options
    Ron, we'll get ya on the Chevy truck bandwagon, and the Hoyt bandwagon, and the Springfield Armory bandwagon, and the Rock River Arms bandwagon...
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Ron, we'll get ya on the Chevy truck bandwagon, and the Hoyt bandwagon, and the Springfield Armory bandwagon, and the Rock River Arms bandwagon...
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$! $$$$$$$$$$$$! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    nice skillet. really surprised you have not sanded one of those lodges down yet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - on my To Do list but it seems to keep getting bumped down in priority ranking. Maybe after the snow and bitter cold arrives and I retreat to the daily embrace of my workshop.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    LOL - on my To Do list but it seems to keep getting bumped down in priority ranking. Maybe after the snow and bitter cold arrives and I retreat to the daily embrace of my workshop.
    about ten minutes is all it takes, setting up the sander and orbital took longer =) something strange with seasoning a smooth skillet, it took forever to turn black, this was 4 coatings with lard, stayed this straw color for a long while

fukahwee maine

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Lol,
    And the Jayco bandwagon...and the Pfleuger President bandwagon...
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Lol,
    And the Jayco bandwagon...and the Pfleuger President bandwagon...
    seamaster bandwagon....ted godfrey bandwagon.   giant steps =)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just don't get on the Festool bandwagon...
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Damn @Focker nice skillet gift!
    Now about that Shun bandwagon... :giggle:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    I love my Griswold skillet, it's smooth as glass and nothing sticks.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va