Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vs. Hasty Bake?

Options
Wondering if any of you have ever compared the two. Any thoughts on the differences, pros/cons of each?
Southern California

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    The resident Hasty Bake expert is in Asia currently so you'll have to stand by...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    He's currently buying black-market gum from a trans man-boy named Kiki in Singapore.
    Options
    What is a Hasty Bake?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I just looked at the hasty bake website (hastybake.com) because I didn't know either. Seems to be a similar concept to the indirect mode of a BGE. Didn't investigate fully but I wasn't sure about a direct mode of cooking. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Ok just googled it and now I'm sorry I bought a Big Green Egg first!

If you believe that I also have some waterfront property for sale very cheap!

:) 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited December 2016
    Options

I am looking for some cheap waterfront property. :)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options

I am looking for some cheap waterfront property. :)
    Be patient, melting icecaps will bring the waterfront to you in a few years, give or take a thousand.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I am in Singapore, I did not buy black market gum (I don't want a caning), I do not know a man-boy named Kiki. I just got back to my hotel room, and it's is 2:43AM.

All that said, the Hasty Bake has merits. As far as direct grilling goes, it works great, I use it more than my XL BGE for direct grilling. As far as long low and slow goes, the BGE is much more capable and stable. I have used it for indirect cooks and it works just fine, but when weather is questionable, not so much. Also, I can run by XL indirect with a full load of lump for at least 30 hours without touching it. The HB, not so much. I can give more commentary, but not now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    @DMW Sounds like the Hasty-Bake loses to the egg for low and slow. What about high-heat cooking? Can it do 800 degree sears and pizzas like the egg or does it lose there too? 
    Southern California
  • DMW
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    @DMW Sounds like the Hasty-Bake loses to the egg for low and slow. What about high-heat cooking? Can it do 800 degree sears and pizzas like the egg or does it lose there too? 

High heat sears, no problem. For pizzas, it really doesn't have the ceramic mass to hold the heat in. I would also posture that the BGE isn't the best pizza cooking vessel (see my signature) as well, but that's another story.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    B)DMW said:
    I am in Singapore, I did not buy black market gum (I don't want a caning), I do not know a man-boy named Kiki. I just got back to my hotel room, and it's is 2:43AM.

All that said, the Hasty Bake has merits. As far as direct grilling goes, it works great, I use it more than my XL BGE for direct grilling. As far as long low and slow goes, the BGE is much more capable and stable. I have used it for indirect cooks and it works just fine, but when weather is questionable, not so much. Also, I can run by XL indirect with a full load of lump for at least 30 hours without touching it. The HB, not so much. I can give more commentary, but not now.

What are you doing out till 3AM in Singapore
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    B)DMW said:

What are you doing out till 3AM in Singapore
    Finished the things he's paid to do and paid to do things he shouldn't do.
  • Legume
    Options
    Or maybe there's a Sheetz in Singapore.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    And lest you think @DMW went over to the hasty bake dark-side, he may share the good fortune that landed it in his lap or just choose to pass.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    And lest you think @DMW went over to the hasty bake dark-side, he may share the good fortune that landed it in his lap or just choose to pass.  FWIW-

Here's the post that explains how I came to have a Hasty Bake:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174373/hasty-bake-score-what-would-you-do/p1

@Legume I was entertaining a customer, drinks and whatnot.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA