Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Cap- Clean it before it gets awful!!

Options
I wish I had taken pictures of it.. But as a public service announcement, do not let it go!!

I cook outside alot, and granted I live in Georgia, with temperate weather, and I have a covered porch, I fire up my egg no less than 3-4 times a week, year 'round. 

Between plenty of low and slow, and plenty of high heat cooks, my Smokeware cap became so crusted with junk I had to put gloves on to turn it and hold the base to adjust it sometimes. The top looked bronze and brown, despite not being in the elements all too often on my uncovered section of the patio.

Tonight I decided to clean it up.. took me 10 min to separate the two spots, and almost a quarter inch thick build up inside of it.

FWIW- 4 soaks of oven cleaner, 45 min a pop, hot soapy water, a nylon brush, steel wool and scrub pads... it looks closer to new outside, and I can turn it now with a finger. 

Was hoping to not have to buy a new one, and see some shine again!!

DO NOT LET THEM BUILD UP! I tossed mine on my 400 degree egg after a 1000 degree clean burn of everything. Talk about letting something go, and assuming it would function right!
-FATC1TY
Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
LBGE
MiniMax

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I find upkeep is simple after it's clean like you've done.  I clean mine approx every other or so cook.  And anything above 350℉ (unless it's crazy pouring) I leave the cap off which helps immensely.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I have 2, gen 1 and gen 2.  I've never cleaned either one (3+ years).  They look like @fishlessman's egg but work just fine.  I'm a minimalist.  I think Blake may have issues... ;). And we are neighbors brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I think Blake may have issues... ;)

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    edited December 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I think Blake may have issues... ;)

That's the Blake I know.  Always delivers.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thx for the tip!

wish they designed the finger tab to adjust the cap was made longer. That little SOB gets hot with hi temp cooks. The silicone sheath does nothing for insulation. 
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thx for the tip!

wish they designed the finger tab to adjust the cap was made longer. That little SOB gets hot with hi temp cooks. The silicone sheath does nothing for insulation. 
    You leave the cap on ^^^ North of 300-350?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Thx for the tip!

I had a sliding problem with my bottom vent tab so using a piece of dowel and a drill I made this simple alteration. You could do the same with the SmokeWare tab.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Thx for the tip!

You leave the cap on ^^^ North of 300-350?

Yea.. not supposed too? When I say hi temp cooks I'm at 4-425ish degrees 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida Sure you can but, it's easier to just pull the cap on cooks above 300℉-350℉+ and then just dial it in with the lower vent.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have two of these Smokeware caps that ended up so crusty I could barely operate them.

So I threw them in some PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) - basically a mixture of Oxyclean and TSP.  This stuff is used to clean the funk out of brewery equipment. 

Anyway, Soaked them overnight, little mechanical scrubbing, soaked for a few more days, bit more scrubbing and they look like new.  And more importantly, they work easily.

This route is really a time thing, not too much scrubbing and the PBW is about the least toxic cleaner that will do it.
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida Sure you can but, it's easier to just pull the cap on cooks above 300℉-350℉+ and then just dial it in with the lower vent.  
    I've tried going capless and playing with lower vent and couldn't get a stable temp. Tried wide open bottom and adjusting top vent, same thing. Maybe I don't have the patience lol? I rely on the Guru 99% of the time for temp control. I know it's not good, but it's what im accustomed too.

i think it's bad a*s for someone to hold a constant temp on their Egg from the vents. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida Whatever works better for you I guess.  I personally only use my Stoker on L&S overnight cooks or L&S cooks I don't feel like babysitting.  OTT I don't use it.  It's a nice gadget to own but, definitely not a need.  Surely you were able to dial it in sans the controller prior to buying it...no?  You just need to get back to basic temp control...I have faith you can do it :triumph:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Go ARMY Beat NAVY
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Learned that the hard way myself.  Soaked mine in degreaser and boiling water and took some scrubbing but it's adjustable again.  Will definitely start soaking after each cook. 

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    im sticking with the daisy =) i have to hit it with a firebrick to make it obey from time to time but thats it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    I haven't cleaned mine once! Seals up nice and tight
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Mine was fused together and couldn't adjust at all...no option other than clean it or chunk it and go back to Daisy Wheel which is what I'll be doing if this is that big a PITA.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    I'm sure that will happen to mine. I should probably be proactive
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I just put my daisy wheel in the Egg during cool down and let it clean burn there.  No issues at all.   ;)
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Another reason no one needs a SW cap.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Its not difficult. They even have a video on their website showing how to clean it - https://smokeware.com/blogs/smokeware-journal/56606147-how-to-clean-a-dirty-smokeware-chimney-cap

Don't be hating on SmokeWare.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    Another reason no one needs a SW cap.
    I don't know who this "no one" is, but if mine walked away I'd buy another instantly.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Love my SW caps.  All the tops and topless work.  Personal preference. Never clean the stuff.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I am crazy, about 14 months ago I got one and I have never used it.  I know how to adjust the factory cap and I am concerned about the learning curve with the SW.  Thoughts??
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    I am crazy, about 14 months ago I got one and I have never used it.  I know how to adjust the factory cap and I am concerned about the learning curve with the SW.  Thoughts??
    @JMCXL oh I would definitely not use it. Trash it. Better yet, mail it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.  ;);)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    im sticking with the daisy =) i have to hit it with a firebrick to make it obey from time to time but thats it

Mine got bad recently- I had to put it in the egg to get it warm enough to spin.  I did a 600 degree clean burn recently and left it in there- nice and clean now.

I've tried going capless and playing with lower vent and couldn't get a stable temp. Tried wide open bottom and adjusting top vent, same thing. Maybe I don't have the patience lol? I rely on the Guru 99% of the time for temp control. I know it's not good, but it's what im accustomed too.

i think it's bad a*s for someone to hold a constant temp on their Egg from the vents. 
    I don't use any top if i'm not doing low and slow- read that on here and have gone with it.  My neighbor goes the other way and controls from daisy- both work.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    I just got one for my medium. It was a 2 cook re-learn. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Love my SW caps.  All the tops and topless work.  Personal preference. Never clean the stuff.
    You have to actually cook to make them dirty. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I don't see the point in them. I stand with my homie @saluki2007
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC