Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

the right size

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I consider buying a BGE... What's the right size of BGE for 4-6 adults. Is small one enough or too small? Is small one suitable for taking it to park / beach?

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Glen,[p]If you're 4-6 adults all the time, I'd say a large AND a small, especially if you're talking about taking one with you. [p]You'll get more responses, and the large will be the right call in the beginning, but shortly thereafter, you'll want to add a small. [p]It's how it works...
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Glen,
    I'd go for the large, but I don't think you will want to carry this guy to the beach very often. So, I'm with Mark--get both the large and the small. I've got the combo and couldn't think about doing with either.

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Glen,
    Large should be just right. Extra eggs make for more fun.
    A medium might be okay but it will leave you hankerin for more space.[p]A small is good for the beach or camping but not for Sunday night cook outs for a family that size. You will have people waiting for food and that could be a bad thing.
    HTH ... just my 2cents[p]Doug

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Glen, I started with the large and added a small. They are a perfect combo![p]Beers to you, [p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Taking cost out of the equation, the large Egg is generally regarded as the most versatile size. You can make do with a small or medium, but most folks that buy smaller end up wishing they had bought larger and usually end up trading up or adding a large. Of course there are qute a few that have done just the opposite. They bought the large and went back and added a smaller Egg, or two, or three. LOL. I have nine. I think the greatest testament to the quality and performance of the Egg is the percentage of owners who have multiple Eggs. I would estimate that well over 50% of the folks that post here regularly are multiple Egg owners or plan to be in the future. That says it all IMHO.[p]Jim
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Glen,[p]Some of the best advice you'll ever get is in the posts below.
  • Humpty
    Humpty Posts: 27
    Options
    Glen,
    For what it's worth--I bought the LARGE and find it more than ample for our family (usually just four of us). I think you would find the LARGE the best fit for your needs as well. However, like others have said, I am in the market for a small just to handle the veggies or a couple of burgers at a time for a snack! Go LARGE and don't look back,
    Larry

• Bisquit21
    Bisquit21 Posts: 11
    Options
    Glen,[p]I recently bought the medium and it is fine for cooking for up to 4 adults. If I get beyond this number I've ended up needing more space. Good luck.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    Glen,
    I too would suggest a large to start. I have a family of 6 and it has worked great (but I use all the grill space often). I added a small this year and it is great also! I do side dishes, chili, a couple of burgers or steaks (you get the idea on the small and it hardly uses any charcoal. The large and the small make a great team!