Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss Waterproofing?

Options
With winter coming, I'd like to waterproof my Flame Boss 200 temperature controller.  I know Eggheads have used plastic bags or clear plastic storage bins to protect their controllers.  Any FB owners want to share with me how you do it?
BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
Washington, DC Metro Area

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a Guru. I put all the parts in an old cake pan to keep water off the bottom. Then I put a cake carrier dome thingie over that to keep the rain off. I set it at the edge of a work table so the wires and cords can hang over the edge. I guess if the wind kicks up, I'll have to put something heavy on top. :) 

Some guys have fancy waterproof cases that they drill holes in so they can add PVC elbows for the wires. They care more than I do. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Star_TrEGG
    Options
    I have a Guru. I put all the parts in an old cake pan to keep water off the bottom. Then I put a cake carrier dome thingie over that to keep the rain off. I set it at the edge of a work table so the wires and cords can hang over the edge. I guess if the wind kicks up, I'll have to put something heavy on top. :) 

Some guys have fancy waterproof cases that they drill holes in so they can add PVC elbows for the wires. They care more than I do. 

Nice and simple.
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Well worth the little effort it takes  to make a box for it. Doubles as storage for the controller, fan, and probes when not in use.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    caliking said:
    Well worth the little effort it takes  to make a box for it. Doubles as storage for the controller, fan, and probes when not in use.

@caliking Doesn't seem too difficult.  Did you cut a 2" hole?  What did you use to fix the elbow pipe in place?
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Just zip it up in a Zip Loc bag. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @caliking Doesn't seem too difficult.  Did you cut a 2" hole?  What did you use to fix the elbow pipe in place?
    The elbows were some kind of plumbing part for sinks, so it came with a ring/nut/flange type of thing. I think it was a 2" hole that I had to cut. Threaded the elbow through the hole and tightened the ring onto it. Easy peasy.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lvnthedrm
    Options
    I ended up going with one of these. Didn't need it to be clear since I just use my phone to monitor the cook. Has worked well so far. Picked it for like $20 on amazon.
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    Lvnthedrm said:
    I ended up going with one of these. Didn't need it to be clear since I just use my phone to monitor the cook. Has worked well so far. Picked it for like $20 on amazon.
    @Lvnthedrm What a great idea!  I've never seen this.  The link showed the 330 (large) version.  I understand there's a 285 (medium) version.  Do you think the medium Sockit would work with the Flame Boss with outlets & wires?
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I gotta do better then this...
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sockit box ordered. Great idea. In green of course....
    Now I'm going to figure out how to insulate and heat it, also need to protect the blowers, any good ideas?
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Lvnthedrm
    Options
    Lvnthedrm said:
    @Lvnthedrm What a great idea!  I've never seen this.  The link showed the 330 (large) version.  I understand there's a 285 (medium) version.  Do you think the medium Sockit would work with the Flame Boss with outlets & wires?
    I did get the large. Haven't seen the medium in person but I think it would be plenty large enough for just the flameboss and its accessories. My thought process for the large was to have the potential to put other things in there such as a small surge protector power strip, my bic lighters, etc
    Also, @BilZol makes a valid point above about insulation and heating...you may want the extra room for such things.
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    Lvnthedrm said:
    Lvnthedrm said:
    I did get the large. Haven't seen the medium in person but I think it would be plenty large enough for just the flameboss and its accessories. My thought process for the large was to have the potential to put other things in there such as a small surge protector power strip, my bic lighters, etc
    Also, @BilZol makes a valid point above about insulation and heating...you may want the extra room for such things.
    @Lvnthedrm Great points!  I think I'll order the 330 (large) version...of course in green.  =)
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    @Lvnthedrm @BilZol I also ordered the large version and should receive it tomorrow.  I just love Amazon's quick delivery!  @Nature Boy This product may be a good item to add to your store to waterproof temperature controllers like the Flame Boss.
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    BilZol said:
    @BilZol I used to live in Colorado Springs so I know how bad snow storms can be and its impact on our cooks.  Glad you got a more permanent solution.  We will see how the SOCKitBOX works this winter.  As you pointed out, I've got to think through the heating and insulation, too.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Would love to go wireless with a Harbor Freight battery charger.  This would require a bigger box.  But the PVC elbows, and maybe some Silicone II, may be the ticket.  Another winter putz project added to the list.  Thanks guys.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I just put an inverted Pyrex clear 9x9 baking dish over the top.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Exactly! No need to overthink this.:)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    So you don't run the jumper, and put a dish over the FB?

I know the battery is sealed, but wonder how it will hold up with 10" of wet snow sticking to it, and melting around it, like yesterday?

Curious, where you located @HeavyG?

A closed box, containing both FB and jumper connected, with one elbow for pit probe and blower, may be my best option sans roof here in IL.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Focker said:
    So you don't run the jumper, and put a dish over the FB?

I know the battery is sealed, but wonder how it will hold up with 10" of wet snow sticking to it, and melting around it, like yesterday?

Curious, where you located @HeavyG?

A closed box, containing both FB and jumper connected, with one elbow for pit probe and blower, may be my best option sans roof here in IL.
    I'm in eastern Virginia a couple miles from the ocean. Snow isn't a frequent thing I have to deal with. Nor do I have a FlameBoss.

What I have been using for my wired thermos for awhile is one of those clear plastic clamshell containers that I buy my organic salad greens in. Works fine. A big wind did blow it off my table once which left it dangling and caused the probe to fail and I had to buy a new probe. Now I make sure to put a brick on it. :)

I did just get my FireBoard WiFi thermometer last week and I plan on using it a lot so I may come up with something a little more elaborate than a pyrex bowl or lettuce clamshell and brick.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :grin:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BilZol
    Options
    BilZol said:
    @BilZol I used to live in Colorado Springs so I know how bad snow storms can be and its impact on our cooks.  Glad you got a more permanent solution.  We will see how the SOCKitBOX works this winter.  As you pointed out, I've got to think through the heating and insulation, too.
    Lemme know if you come up with something. I'm thinking maybe a light in it. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    BilZol said:
    BilZol said:
    Lemme know if you come up with something. I'm thinking maybe a light in it. 
    @BilZol I looked through reviews of the SOCKitBOX and the box appeared to do well in rainy and snowy conditions even without any insulation or heat.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have the Flameboss 200 plus the battery pack that they sell. I plan to just get a small box from Walmart to put it in and add a small elbow.  I'll try to get a clear box so that I can read the display as I had a problem with my phone updating during my thanksgiving cook with a socket timeout. I figure being Thanksgiving the site may have been swamped with people monitoring their cooks.

The SockIt box looks good but I would want a clear one.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group