Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions concerning curing meats

Options
Ok, I've been thinking - and that's dangerous. I've about got the bread thing figured out to suit me.
(gratuitous pic)

I have cabbage turning into saurkraut on the counter in my kitchen. It will be ready in two more weeks. 
Hmmm - bread (check), saurkraut (check). If I only had some pastrami I could make a good sammich...

I have a select packer brisket in the freezer. I'm thinking it's a good candidate for curing and smoking for pastrami. I've never cured meat before but it seems straightforward enough.
I also haven't cured bacon before. Well, heck fire - if I'm going to cure brisket, why not cure some pork belly at the same time. If I do that I could fire up the offset and smoke them both together. 

Does anyone see any problem with this plan? My kids will be home for Christmas and this might be a nice treat.
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Haven't wet cured bacon before, but it's possible. Give it a go. What's the worst thing that can happen?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Haven't wet cured bacon before, but it's possible. Give it a go. What's the worst thing that can happen?
    Lol, I guess I wasn't clear. I was just thinking since they both cure for about 5-7 days I could "babysit" them together in a spare refrigerator. Then I could smoke them at the same time. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They are both very easy and very rewarding. You couldn't pick 2 better things to start with. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You may want to smoke them separately as the smoke profile for each is usually different.  For example, I used hickory and oak on the pastrami I did recently.  I prefer fruitwood on my bacon.  I also smoke bacon at a lower temp.  As Blake states, it can be done.  Just consider the smoke profile you're after.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @bgebrent Thanks. That's the sort of feedback I'm needing. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I cold smoke bacon with an a maze n smoker anyway. I don't like hot smoked bacon as much. I use apple on bacon and oak on beef
  • SciAggie
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I cold smoke bacon with an a maze n smoker anyway. I don't like hot smoked bacon as much. I use apple on bacon and oak on beef
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm a rookie and have no clue...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    SciAggie said:
    Just get an AMS (they are like $30) and put it in your cold egg. Clean it out so it does not ignite any lump and let it roll overnight. I use Trager applewood pellets and really like the flavor they give.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    SciAggie said:
    Just get an AMS (they are like $30) and put it in your cold egg. Clean it out so it does not ignite any lump and let it roll overnight. I use Trager applewood pellets and really like the flavor they give.
    I just put one in my cart on Amazon. Sent an email to my meat guy asking about pricing on pork belly, prime brisket, bone-in leg of lamb, and prime ribeyes. 
    Let the wallet destruction begin...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Great starts. I've done lots of bacon. It's time to start getting into some harder stuff. Just cut up a pig and have a lot of trimmings. But dry curing and fermenting will be fun. Enjoy the bacon and pastrami. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • SciAggie
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ok y'all - I'm confused about the pink salt. I bought the Charcuterie book by Ruhlman. When he calls for pink salt, is that the Prauge #1 or is it something else? @The Cen-Tex Smoker @bgebrent @gmac
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    Options
    It's this.

Pm me if needed.  Ruhlman's is the "bible" for me.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @bgebrent Thanks
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @bgebrent Thanks
    Of course my friend.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Pink salt for your purposes is Prague #1
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Pink salt is Prague #1
    Thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Not sure where you live but They do sell it in bulk at Central market. If you don't have one of those nearby, you can buy on Amazon or Modernistpantry.com. I'll gladly send you some if you don't want to buy a big pack from either of those places. Academy sells it this time of year too (deer season) in the seasonal jerky/sausage making aisle. It's super cheap there. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bolner-fiesta-4-oz-curing-salt

This is so cheap- get it at academy if you can. 
  • SciAggie
    Options

I go to Academy in Abilene all the time. Thanks for the help.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Ok y'all - I'm confused about the pink salt. I bought the Charcuterie book by Ruhlman. When he calls for pink salt, is that the Prauge #1 or is it something else? @The Cen-Tex Smoker @bgebrent @gmac
    Though it goes by several different brand and generic names, they all have the same formula of 93.75% salt, and 6.25% sodium nitrite (1 pound of salt plus 1 ounce of sodium nitrite).  

CURE #1
    Some Other Names:
    Pink Salt;
    Tinted Cure Mix (TCM);
    Tinted Curing Powder (TCP);
    Prague powder #1;
    InstaCure #1;
    Modern cure;
    D.Q. powder;
    FLP;
    L.E.M. cure;
    Sure Cure.           

Check the label to make sure it is 6.25% nitrite.  Check Ruhlman to make sure he is referring to the same nitrite levels.

There are other cures such as the Cure #2, Readycure, and Tender Quick.  These are NOT the same as the cure #1.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SciAggie
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Though it goes by several different brand and generic names, they all have the same formula of 93.75% salt, and 6.25% sodium nitrite (1 pound of salt plus 1 ounce of sodium nitrite).  

CURE #1
    Some Other Names:
    Pink Salt;
    Tinted Cure Mix (TCM);
    Tinted Curing Powder (TCP);
    Prague powder #1;
    InstaCure #1;
    Modern cure;
    D.Q. powder;
    FLP;
    L.E.M. cure;
    Sure Cure.           

Check the label to make sure it is 6.25% nitrite.  Check Ruhlman to make sure he is referring to the same nitrite levels.

There are other cures such as the Cure #2, Readycure, and Tender Quick.  These are NOT the same as the cure #1.
    Thanks for the clarafication. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jtcBoynton
    edited December 2016
    Options
    SciAggie said:

I go to Academy in Abilene all the time. Thanks for the help.
    The Fiesta Cure is not the same as Cure #1. According to the folks at Fiesta, it uses nitrate. Cure #1 uses nitrite. 

If someone has some of this you may let us know how it is actually labeled. I suspect the nitrate info may be a typo by the ad people.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    Just an update on the Fiesta cure.  I have seen additional info that lists the ingredients. As suspected it is actually sodium nitrite at 6.25%. So this is another version of Cure #1.  The other info from Fiesta appears to have been written by someone that doesn't know the difference between nitrite and nitrate. Or maybe an auto spell check that wasn't noticed. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE