Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another prime rib

Options
I made a boneless prime rib roast for Thanksgiving. Since it was my first time cooking one, I tried to keep everything simple.

Salt and pepper for the rub. No added smoking wood to the lump. It was an 8 pound roast.

Cooked it at 250F. Pulled it at 125F internal temp and let it rest for about 10 minutes while the egg got up to about 500F. Also dropped the grate down a little lower so it was really close to the lump.

Here's where I ran into a little difficulty. I planned on searing the meat for about 1 minute on each side. The issue was the I got some serious grease flames during my attempted searing. Like 3-4 foot high flames. Is this normal or was I doing something wrong?

Regardless, it turned out really well, especially for a first try.

I think next time I may try a different rub and adding some smoke wood. I'd also like to do a better sear. Definitely was a people pleaser though.
Indianapolis, IN

Comments

• sheetmetalpete
    sheetmetalpete Posts: 275
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Looks good!  I had the same flare up when I did a 6 pound boneless last week.  Just had to be brave to reach through the flames with my gloves.  Having second thoughts about the sear next time.  Not sure it's necessary.   
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    gotta be careful with that dripping fat.  it can give you a not so great burnt-fat flavor...

some sear on cast iron, which eliminates the open flame.  but you can't really sear the sides of a seven bone roast on metal unless you maybe have a sheet (instead of a cast iron pan).  smaller roasts are easier.

i'd advocate for going slow and just roasting it for the whole cook.  no extra fumbling at the end with a sear.

if you dry it in the fridge for just a few days, you will get a nice mahgany brown color without any sear required.  the lobger you go, the drier the fat cap gets too, and that will get crispy even.

for me, this is the simplest cook on the egg. 

light fire, season the roast, when BGE is at temp I toss it on, let it cruise at 225, and take it off when at target temp.

especially on christmas day (or any holiday I mean), simpler can be a godsend (kind of a busy day to begin with)

• acmoser76
    Options
    gotta be careful with that dripping fat.  it can give you a not so great burnt-fat flavor...

some sear on cast iron, which eliminates the open flame.  but you can't really sear the sides of a seven bone roast on metal unless you maybe have a sheet (instead of a cast iron pan).  smaller roasts are easier.

i'd advocate for going slow and just roasting it for the whole cook.  no extra fumbling at the end with a sear.

if you dry it in the fridge for just a few days, you will get a nice mahgany brown color without any sear required.  the lobger you go, the drier the fat cap gets too, and that will get crispy even.

for me, this is the simplest cook on the egg. 

light fire, season the roast, when BGE is at temp I toss it on, let it cruise at 225, and take it off when at target temp.

especially on christmas day (or any holiday I mean), simpler can be a godsend (kind of a busy day to begin with)

Couldn't agree more. I was really shocked at how easy of a cook it was, especially after cooking brisket. Rib roast tends to be an expensive cut of meat, but there's much less stress for me because of how simple it is.

Next time I definitely want to try drying it in the fridge before grilling it. That was one thing that I wasn't able to do since my father-in-law was supplying the meat and they arrived at our house the day before Thanksgiving.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    acmoser76 said:
    Couldn't agree more. I was really shocked at how easy of a cook it was, especially after cooking brisket. Rib roast tends to be an expensive cut of meat, but there's much less stress for me because of how simple it is.
    The most stressful part is screwing up an expensive cut of meat that the whole family is depending on! Once you get past that, everything is simple.
  • flexfusion
    Options
    • I agree with Sheetmetalcpete I don't worry about the sear when I do a roast....as long as the internal temperature is where you want it pull it and let rest.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Nice job, I did one for Thanksgiving as well,like you, I cook mine at 225-250F, but, I pull mine at 110-115F internal, then open up vents, and sear with high flame,( I love bark) until 125-130F internal for rare. Another tip, you can cut that fatty lip off, then tie the roast into a round cylinder, it will cook evenly, and will be more predictable. Yours looks mouth watering.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Hard to beat the simplicity of a prime rib. I do them every year on egg for Christmas Eve. It's tradition to be half lit to cook and eat. Then watch movies and attempt to assemble the kids toys till lord knows how late. 

one thing I do is get it raging hot after the cook. Close it up at peak. Let's me roll it around and close up and not worry about huge flames from fat. Do be careful to wait too long. Smoldering coals starving for fuel and fat aren't an amazing flavor. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax