Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide

Options
I'm looking to buy one, but with limited space, I'm leaning towards the immersion style.  Lots of them out there and I'm wondering if anyone has a good recommendation.  Thanks!

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    The Anova is on my Christmas list....  Very small storage footprint!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I picked up an Anova immersible on Black Friday and the box is about the size of a shoe box and there is a lot of extra packaging you don't need to keep. I am thinking you could store it pretty easily.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • MrWigan
    MrWigan Posts: 104
    Options
    The Anova is excellent...

I'm going to do some baby backs in it tonight for 36 hours.  

Sunday breakfast...  check!

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I keep my Anova in a kitchen drawer.  Takes up about the same amount of space as a rolling pin.
    Toronto ON
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I have the anova one, its small and works awesome. I find I never use the app so I would lean towards the cheaper bluetooth model.
  • acmoser76
    Options
    Agree with all of the comments above. Anova. I would also suggest getting containers specifically for sous vide as well. I bought a LIPAVI container, lid, and rack. Made the cooking process much less stressful for me. Cooked mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving and had multiple family members say they were the best they'd ever had. Also made chicken breasts for the in-laws a few weeks ago- they're still talking about how good they were. Get one. You won't be sorry.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I use my Crock Pot with a digital temp controller.  Poor man's SV. Works pretty well, but you are restricted by the size of the Crock Pot. If you already have the pot, this  can be stored in it and it won't take up additional space. Has to be a Crock Pot that is non-programmable though (Off/Lo/Hi). I have used it for 48 hour chuck roast and it worked perfectly. $20something

https://www.amazon.com/WILLHI-WH1436A-110V-Temperature-Controller/dp/B00V4TJR00/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1480714671&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+temp+controller

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Acmoser, care to post the recipe for the mashes please, in another post recently someone talked about excellent mashed, I would love to try it. Thnaks
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @acmoser76, in addition to the potato request above, what temp/time did you use for the chicken? Impressing inlaws is no small feat! :) Thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Anova is pretty reasonable,

joule is even smaller and looks like a nice unit but requires a phone or tablet to control it. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • acmoser76
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Acmoser, care to post the recipe for the mashes please, in another post recently someone talked about excellent mashed, I would love to try it. Thnaks
    http://lickmyspoon.com/recipes/sous-vide-mashed-potatoes-with-garlic-and-rosemary/

I believe I got this link from a post on this site. Depending on how much you like rosemary, you may want to back off on it a little. I tend to use less rosemary and extra garlic, but that's just my tastes.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • acmoser76
    Options

@acmoser76, in addition to the potato request above, what temp/time did you use for the chicken? Impressing inlaws is no small feat! :) Thanks!
    I did 150F for an hour and then finished it on the stovetop. Kept the prep simple with various rubs I have around the house. Think I used Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express and Special Sh*t. Chicken ended up super moist and tender.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Thank you, much appreciated
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    acmoser76 said:

I did 150F for an hour and then finished it on the stovetop. Kept the prep simple with various rubs I have around the house. Think I used Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express and Special Sh*t. Chicken ended up super moist and tender.
    Thanks. I have yet to SV chicken. Never had any cooked to such a low temp. Anxious to try it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Anyone considering an Anova should also consider the Joule.

Here's a good review that compares them:
    Two Sous Vide Gadgets Face Off in a Kitchen Showdown
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Anova and Joule are equivalent.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    The Anova is pretty sweet.  Yeah, it's pretty sweet.... and when stored in the provided cardboard container, please will ask what that is, and you can tell them its a bazooka!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Anova here, two of the older units. They now come in a bluetooth (800w) and bluetooth+WiFi (900w). The Joule (1100w) is also very good.
    For containers I use old stock pots. You need something that is at least 8"deep. There are made for SV containers, just never got around to getting one. If cooking multiple bags, you need something to hold them apart. A really cheap pot will do as it is not exposed to outside heat. Top with foil for longer cooks and throw a towel around the pot to keep the heat in, 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Anova and Joule are equivalent.
    Joule can't be setup/run by itself - you have to control it with a phone or tablet.

No thanks.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Anyone considering an Anova should also consider the Joule.

Here's a good review that compares them:
    Two Sous Vide Gadgets Face Off in a Kitchen Showdown
    Anova was offering the Bluetooth version on sale for $99 - that's a steal. Don't know if they still offer that price tho.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I'm very happy with the Sansaire. It has a BIG bright display I can see from a distance. I have no need for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth as I'm right there anyway.
    Judy in San Diego
  • BbqDave
    Options
    I just ordered an Anova.  They are $25 off right now, so it seems like a good deal.  I got the wifi+bluetooth.  I also looked at the Joule, but I'm planning on taking this when we go camping and we often don't have wifi access, so I wasn't sure how the Joule would work when we're off the grid.  Since the Anova has buttons and a display, it will work with or without a smartphone.
    Tega Cay, SC - Large & Medium BGEs w/ KABs, Plate Setters & Pizza Stones
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    Can you use the plastic storage/freezer bags for cooking or must you use the vacuum sealed bags?
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • AprèsSki
    Options
    You can use zip-lock bags, http://www.seriouseats.com/sous_vide_101 

As for storage, I keep my Anova inside of the 12 quart Cambo container that I use for cooking.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    REB17 said:
    Can you use the plastic storage/freezer bags for cooking or must you use the vacuum sealed bags?
    Zip Locs are fine...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10zLnttKib0

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have the sous vide supreme demi for home and the ANOVA Bluetooth for back up and traveling. Its fun to take on trips and cook up some SV stuff to wow people with.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.