Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little much for a schoolnight

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited December 2016 in EggHead Forum

Had a couple of chickens in the fridge so I decide to give them the Jaques Pepin treatment. Bad idea. Did well on the ballotine ('bout half an hour) but the stuffing was intense and, having never sewn anything, sewing them up was a beotch. Just dropped them on the egg now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    That a cross between a galantine and a ballotine? ;)

looks great. 

Deboning looks like something that goes well or doesn't. No in between

glad you were on the winning side
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I didn't use the knife except where I had to. Pulled the meat off rather than trying to scrape the carcass. Didn't think you were talking to me since you aren't answering my texts. Freakin' heartbroken here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Little_Steven -anytime I can butcher a chix with the desired end-result of a ballotine is a success.  I don't do enough to be able to pull it off without frequent resort to his video.  You can imagine the gloves and clean-up after the numerous pause and play action on the keyboard.  But every time I finish, the results are worth it.  And you likely have much finer motor skills...especially after a few adult supervisory beverages. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Little_Steven -anytime I can butcher a chix with the desired end-result of a ballotine is a success.  I don't do enough to be able to pull it off without frequent resort to his video.  You can imagine the gloves and clean-up after the numerous pause and play action on the keyboard.  But every time I finish, the results are worth it.  And you likely have much finer motor skills...especially after a few adult supervisory beverages. 
    That's why I don't drink distilled beverages buddy! I'd be short a few digits by now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Holy Smokes. I love good food, but that looks like way too much work!!!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I don't mess with brown water rocket fuel until clear of knives, fire and food.  Prior to that the house adult supervisory beverage requirements/needs are satisfied with beer.  Much better pacing fuel for me.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I  have zero patience

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    @tikigriller -  here is a great video on how to get 'er done.  And I can assure you the first go round took me a good 30-40 minutes to finish.  But independent of the eats, the presentation is off the charts.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku5p1CcGn70  
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    @lousubcap wow. That was way too cool. The biggest thing I really pulled from that whole video, was that my knives apparently are dull as hell!!

thread now bookmarked so I can get to this video again!  That really was cool to watch. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I didn't use the knife except where I had to. Pulled the meat off rather than trying to scrape the carcass. Didn't think you were talking to me since you aren't answering my texts. Freakin' heartbroken here.
    I replied. 

You asked a question about   photobucket. Does your jutterbug phone have texting technology, or does it just notify someone when you've fallen and can't get up?

• Little Steven
    Options
    Turned out ok. Stuffing was good. Late dinner but the Leafs are in Calgary tonight.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    I replied. 

You asked a question about   photobucket. Does your jutterbug phone have texting technology, or does it just notify someone when you've fallen and can't get up?

Dammit I hate you and your gen X friends

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @lousubcap thanks for sharing that video!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited December 2016
    Options

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Legume said:
    @tikigriller there was a throwdown on this a while ago, pretty entertaining, lots of massacred chicken.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1176021/official-gallotine-ballotine-throwdown-entry-thread/p1

nice birds @Little Steven @Little Steven
    That's the one where I lost to a damn fork. I've progressed so far....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Yeah, but nobody openly mocked you back then.  #progress
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Acupuncture much? :smiley:

Way more than I would have accomplished , or even attempted, on a school night. What went into the stuffing?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Toasted French bread, chorizo, garlic, green pepper, pimenton and mirepoix. The one with the needles was the second. I tried to make a poultry needle out of one of the poultry lacing things. I think if I had a proper needle it would have been easier.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother Little. I'm real fond of stuffed chickens.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice.  Haven't seen one done in awhile.  Quite the eventful weeknight cook.  Thanks for sharing.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Those look awesome. Pepin would be proud! I also use The needles to hold them together. Try running the needle parallel instead of perpendicular, catching a bit of skin on each side going back and forth. Only need a few needles that way instead of 472 or however many you used ;)

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I replied. 

This is where the fun is.  Hilarious.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Why did you untie them and take out all their stuffing? I kid, I kid! Lovely birds!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Why did you untie them and take out all their stuffing? 
    For the same reason that a hippy always walks face first into a windstorm.  It's just that simple my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• OneNole03
    Options
    Very interesting. Makes me think of Frankenstein creating a great tasting meal.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I replied. 

This is where the fun is.  Hilarious.
    Even shows he read it. 

A running theme in text and email exchanges with steven is that he often replies to things out of order (so none of us know what he's referring to), or seems to miss the entire thing even though he is actively participating

he only gets an hour a day on the prison computer, and coverage in his cell is poor. May be the problem 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Those look awesome. Pepin would be proud! I also use The needles to hold them together. Try running the needle parallel instead of perpendicular, catching a bit of skin on each side going back and forth. Only need a few needles that way instead of 472 or however many you used ;)

So now you tell me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    blind99 said:

So now you tell me.

Then I should also tell you don't stick them into your own flesh, hurts.  Don't ask me how I know.  Who would have thought they'd sell such sharp needles to someone like me???
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle