Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone get a AR/Spider reciently? I need 2 questions answered tonight.

Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
Posted this in another thread earlier this morning and got nothing, so thought I would try with a new thread.

Twice in the last month, I ran out of real estate on the large. My wife said - "Load up the cart so you can do anything you want."

Here are my questions:
I am going pick up the AR today.  Getting the R&B combo with both the chicken and rib grate options (an additional oval and additional D grates.) I am also going to get a 2nd additional Oval grate.  (So I will have a total of 3 ovals and 1 "D".

Question 1 - Do I have to get additional cross bars for those 2 extra grates I am going to get? (I know I will only be able to use 3 at a time max)

Question 2:
Now I am thinking of getting the spider as well to do a three layer indirect cook.
Spider spec says:
"Can the 14" pizza stone from Big Green Egg® be used on the Spider?  No, the 14" diameter is to big and can limit air flow."
But in this post: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/469075/#Comment_469075, Tom says he likes to use the 14" stone.... but that is an old post.

They were closed today, and I will not be able to do this tomorrow, so I need to place to order tonight.
Can someone check to see if I can use the 14" stone or no?

Thanks you in advance!
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Bump.... someone help Brother Ski
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Call them, they are super nice. I seem to recall the R&B combo has one set of crossbars (enough for two grates). 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2016
    @Sea2Ski
    I use a 14 inch stone on my spider with no issues. A 13 is recommended, however I'm not one to follow directions or recommendations. 
    As far as the cross bars, I don't know how many that you ordered but you need 2 per rung/grid. The exception being if you sit a grid on the very top of the AR instead of using a rung. But to be clear, if you want to use all 3 rungs you will need 6 cross bars. Good luck and may your hair grow beyond your arse brother Ski. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sea2Ski
    Thanks @JohnnyTarheel .....

@CPARKTX I would, but tomorrow I am swamped. Every minute of my day is already spoken for, and I know I will not have time at all.  Too much going on for me.

Worst case, I order what I know I need, and place another order later of the other things I need, but just do not know it yet.
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Thank you @SGH I have a 14" stone now, so that leaves that out of the order, and now I know I need the cross bars...  Thank YOU!  Going to place the order now...
    Large and MiniMax

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Sea2Ski said:
    Thanks @JohnnyTarheel .....

@CPARKTX I would, but tomorrow I am swamped. Every minute of my day is already spoken for, and I know I will not have time at all.  Too much going on for me.

Worst case, I order what I know I need, and place another order later of the other things I need, but just do not know it yet.
    Check pricing before you do this. Your total spent will effect shipping costs so waiting to do a separate order later might cost you a fair amount more with the shipping cost changes. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SGH
    edited November 2016
    @Sea2Ski
    6 Cross bars for the 3 rungs. 

To forgo the rungs, or for a very high grid, you can sit the factory 17" grid on top of the AR. It's a tight fit, but it does work. I use it for chicken wings.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I like having a extra set of cross bars. Those cheap foil cake pans sit perfectly on top of them and make excellent drip pans. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SGH
    ColtsFan said:
    I like having a extra set of cross bars. 
    Myself included. Thus I bought 8. 

Status- Standing by.

• Sea2Ski
    Thanks again @SGH I got an extra slide bar.  Since it comes with one set of bars, a slide bar, and then the rack that goes on top.  Since I got an extra grid, and another slide, I believe I am covered.
    Large and MiniMax

• SGH
    Sea2Ski said:
    Thank you @SGH
    My pleasure brother Ski. Always glad to help a friend when and where I can. 

Status- Standing by.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    @Sea2Ski

I ordered a rig Friday.  I, like you,  was unsure of what to get.  I added to my cart and removed.  . .   added some more,  removed some more. 

I think I ended up with 3 oval grates. spider.  small stone.  .   must have ordered other stuff too. I am excited to see what comes! 

Good luck with your rig. I can't wait for the added space and configuration options. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I have no idea.  Get a second egg.
  • Sea2Ski
    @kl8ton yea, I think I spent 3-4 hrs yesterday trying to figure out what I needed. Order done made, and paid for.
    Large and MiniMax