Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can a Rutland fry?

Options
Had mine in for about 3 months. Mostly low and slows with a few high heat cooks. 

Dome is lined up fine. 

Half my gasket is is black and really hard and crunchy, the other half still feels soft and grey.
@RRP

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    A Rutland gasket can withstand 2,200º which is far above any temperature that a BGE is even capable of producing at the gasket level. BTW my 13 year old Rutland is also blackened and harder than when it was brand new, but it still seals just fine. Since you said half is hardened and the other isn't then I beg differ with you - your dome and base are slightly out of whack and are not completely seated properly. Are you noticing smoke leaking?  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    doesn't look like it i bunched togehter? 

could be debris.  mine is packed with soot and junk, and fairly firm.

but the glass itself isn't going to melt any time soon
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It only leaks a small amount when my fan turns on with lots of wood. Come to think about it, I didn't start noticing any leaking until I noticed my gasket was hard, crunchy and black.

However of the gasket is still fine, im not going to worry about my little leak. 

I could have bunched it a little better for sure. I think I ended up with about 6" left. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Well the blackening is from the minute particles of creosote which in our case will continue to be deposited eventually sealing the gap. You could always try to seat your dome better by loosening the dome bolts and shoving the dome downward to reseat it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.