Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best cast iron pan for ribeyes???

Options
Brother in law has a restaurant and ordered me a nice big rib-eye.  Got a bunch of steaks out of it and my goal is to finally experiment and decide what I like best - straight up sear over a lot of heat, reverse sear or sear - pull it and reduce the heat and finish....  What I don't have for my egg is a flat cast iron pan (which I think will be best surface)...  Looked at the cast iron pizza pan 14 inches, saw the half moon style which seems like it will still allow for a super hot fire, and lastly thinking the 14 inch may inhibit air flow a smaller 10 inch size round or oval pan that would also allow for veggies etc.  Don't usually cook more than 4 steaks.... Your eggspertise would be greatly appreciated!

Also, on another note picked up "smoke it like a pro" and went through it yesterday.  Mr. Mitchell the author states that he leaves the bottom vent open all the way (closes the screen) and controls temp with his daisy wheel on top!!!
-  I am going to try it and if that works it is worth the price of the book!!  Did I miss the boat because I always close up the lower vent depending on the heat I am looking for.  Does that really work to get 225-250 degrees???    

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I grew up with cast iron skillets and griddles.  They last forever and always do the job.  But as I began to learn about other cookware, mostly for use with the Big Green Egg, but also Sous Vide cooking, I learned about carbon steel cooking pans, especially carbon steel fry pans.  Chefs seem to like them in their busy kitchens.  Now I know why.  I received one for my birthday and haven't looked back except to congratulate myself for my research.  

I wanted the Matfer Bourgeat, considered the best in a test by chefs.  But others are almost as good and considerably cheaper.  You might consider getting one at some point in the future.

Here's an interesting article about the difference in cast iron and carbon steel. It's worth reading.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/what-makes-carbon-steel-pans-great-cast-iron-cookware.html

I think you will be fine with your cast iron to sear your steak.  People have enjoyed doing it that way for a long time.

Spring "Cast Your Iron To The Fire" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Paul B.
    Options
    Thanks a lot Spring Chicken - interesting!  I know the pans...  Never thought of them as having similar properties to cast iron because they are thinner...  Learn something new every day!     
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    What size egg do you have?  A 14 inch will work just fine on the large.  I have this one and it works.  You don't need a super hot fire with CI...just give it some time to heat up.  If you are cooking 4 rib eyes I would get the bigger one.  The half moon griddle could probably only do one at a time. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • Paul B.
    Options
    Thanks all - I have a LBGE and its good to hear the 14" isn't to big.  

DO YOU COOK WITH YOUR BOTTOM VENT ALL THE WAY OPEN NO MATTER WHAT TEMP YOU WANT??? 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Paul B. said:
    Thanks all - I have a LBGE and its good to hear the 14" isn't to big.  

DO YOU COOK WITH YOUR BOTTOM VENT ALL THE WAY OPEN NO MATTER WHAT TEMP YOU WANT??? 
    No, but I'm sure there will be varying opinions.  I do the opposite - minimal bottom vent and manage more with the top vent.
    Phoenix 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @Paul B.  What size egg do you have?  Assuming a large, a 14" will not impede airflow.  You really do not need much of a clearance to get high airflow.  I find that a 10" is too small for searing a single bone-in ribeye.  They are often too long and the bone prevents the steak from sitting flat in the pan.

Vents - control from either the top or bottom - your choice. Temp depends on air flow which can be restricted either as it enters or leaves the egg. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    My experience is use bottom vent for 75-100 degree changes and top vent for smaller steps

Greensboro, NC
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My approach is different than most, because I got tired of reseasoning pans.

I go raised direct, felt line is plenty, with a longer preheat.  An IR gun is handy to dial things in.  I go by that alone.  Bottom vent may be about half open, if that.  The Smokeware cap is always 100% open.

An IR temp for the vessel around 500-600 is plenty hot.  My BS Tailgater hits 5s in a few minutes, and does a great job.

And yes, you can get too hot when searing and stir frying IMO.  There were times my wok was so hot the garlic burned almost instantly.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."