Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Spatchcock Turkey

Options
keepervodeflame
keepervodeflame Posts: 353
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
Definitely not the last. Brined the 12 lb organic non-enhanced bird in an Adam Perry Lang brine mixture of Apple Cider 1/3 cup kosher salt, and half a cup honey with orange slices and Simon Garfunkel herbs. cooked on my large at 350 with a little pecan smoke. legs and thighs cooked about 20 degs behind the breast. I pulled the bird at 165 IT in the breast and removed the legs and thighs and returned them to the grill. Just a short time and they were at 170. Everything came out perfect. Highly recommend spatchcocking your turkey, and the APL apple cider brine, as well. I used the heavy duty OXO poultry shears to spatchcock my turkey. Worked great very minimal effort, although it did take quite a forceful CPR move to flatten the bird out. Much stouter than your average chicken. 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You might want to point those legs to the back of your Egg.  Mine gets hotter back there. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    Thanks, I actually do that with chickens and it works well. Just happy to get this guy on the grill today didn't even think about legs to the rear. I will do it next time however. Thanks for the tip.