Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Help

Options
just went out after hour one to baste according to the recipe, and there is not even enough juices to baste at all. 

Do do I need to do anything to adjust or just let it ride and keep checking in every 30 minutes per the recipe?

Thanks
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• Armadillar
    Options
    I just added some water to the bottom of pan. Had same problem.
    League City, TX - XL & Med
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    I had 2 bottles of wine and used half a bottle to get some basting liquid. Then I tilted the turkey up and poured some of the juice out of the bird. 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Finished results 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Thanks. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Armadillar
    Options
    Wooooeeeee looks good. mine still has an hour or so.
    League City, TX - XL & Med
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    I had the same issue.  Added some chicken stock and waited another 30minutes.  Mine also finished an hour early which messed with my plans.  I fried a 2nd turkey but had to do it while making my gravy.  It was a whirlind for a while.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TrueTex
    Options
    I have never basted the turkey using this recipe and my birds come out excellent. After I have poured the half bottle of wine in and over the turkey (inside the pan), and cook for about 3 hours at 325 degrees I usually get about a cup of drippings from a 15 lb bird. This also comes from the butter paste coated on the turkey prior to putting in the LGE.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I always kept a mixture of Wine and broth handy to add to the pan so I had enough juice to baste. Seldom needed to......
    South SLO County
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    It all came out awesome. 

Did the egg and the pellet. 

Egg go by Mad Max. Pellet was spatchcocked with mad max seasoning. 

Both really good. Egg finished early and suffered a little waiting for everything else in the FTC, so the general opinion around here was that the Egg tasted better, however, the pellet was cooked better. 

I firmly believe if we if we had carved and ate the egg bird only and not had any FTC, it would have clobbered the pellet turkey. I know how I will do my next turkey and it will be mad max. 

Egg Turkey

Yes I know, my carving skills are limited. 

The Pellet Bird
    Thanks for looking and Happy Thanksgiving!

oh...the Mad max gravy is unreal!!!

Livermore, California
  • jstewart12a
    Options
    Wow. That's a winner right there. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA