Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA: Smoking Large Turkeys

Options
I got this in an email yesterday from Jeff Phillips (smoking-meat.com). His logic makes sense to me so I thought I would pass it own. However, it seems that most of us are not really smoking but rather baking with smoke added.

As most of you know, I do not recommend smoking a turkey that is larger than 12 lbs.. 14 lbs is pushing it. This is due to the fact that the larger turkey takes too much time to reach a safe temperature at the low temperature. It is risky at best and in my opinion, is raising the chances that your family and guests could get a food borne illness.

To make it safe, keep the turkey on the small side (12 lbs is about right) and if you need more turkey, just smoke multiple turkeys figuring on about 2 lbs of raw weight per person.

I just usually figure a 12 lb turkey for every 6 people and it gives me plenty of turkey with a few leftovers.

So you’ve already purchased a big ol’ 22 pounder so what now? Well, you really only have a couple of options for smoking it safely.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is interesting. It seems often people equate "smoking" with temperatures in the 225-275 range.  I am planning on cooking in the 325-350 range, but using a little wood. I guess that is "smoke roasting". 

My understanding of the "danger zone" is it refers to the ambient environment. I'm not sure I agree that there would be any harm in slow cooking a turkey if you wanted to. It would seem to me if you follow this logic we shouldn't be slow cooking anything such as a large butt or brisket where it can take more than 4 hours to reach a safe temp.  I suppose one consideration is a turkey has the cavity so the inside of the cavity could be at an unsafe temp for a longer time.  However if you leave the bird un-stuffed then I think it would be perfectly safe to cook at a lower temp if you wanted to.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Bacteria is on the meat, not in the meat
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    I've "smoked" several large birds for customers, prolly in the ball park of ~100 birds over 6 year period....never had an issue with internal temp....sure did some take longer than others?, yes...I measure the temp between the leg and the thigh....pull it at 165 and let it rest for an hour, it will continue to climb to around 170 or so....I put salted butter under the skin of the breasts to keep moist....

long of the short...I'll agree to disagree
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga