Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

@Mickey turbo ribs are so good....

Options
Luvnlife
Luvnlife Posts: 219
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
I've done ribs a bunch of ways on the egg, but never been super happy with them until tonight. Tried the turbo ribs that @mickey recommended and couldn't believe how good they were! Some JD barrel chips with cherry wood chips for smoke. We all loved them and I don't plan to cook them any other way from now on. 350 indirect, grill on the plate setter, no drip pan or anything. Just set the egg to temp and left it for 1 hour 40 mins. Pulled and they passed the bend test and toothpick. Quick rub of BBQ sauce, back in for a 10 minute glaze and then plated. Wow, loved them. Can't believe all the low and slow cooks I spent the time on and still enjoyed these more. Try it if you haven't. Not knocking the low and slows for ribs, just my preference is these. 

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Those look great! 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Luvnlife
    Options
    @bhedges1987 thanks! They didn't disappoint that's for sure. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice job on the ribs. 
    Those look outstanding. I never thought I would like them dry (without sauce) till I started doing turbo ribs and now do 100% dry holding a light sauce for dipping. 
    Ok, next is Turbo Butts and also Naked Ham. Then you will be as lazy as I but you will eat very well. 
    No more overnight cooks, night is for drinking and sleeping. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KC_Steve
    Options
    Those look good.  I need to give that a try.
    L, M - Kansas City
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Thanks a lot @mickey I will definitely try that next time and look forward to trying the other turbo cooks as well to compare, liking the way you think! Thanks @KC_Steve go for it and post some pics when you do. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Exactly the way I prefer them.  Rest of family likes them sauced, foiled and mushy so I have to put a rack out for me and the rest for them.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    @Mickey already has a big head.  This isn't going to help.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 36onslow
    36onslow Posts: 129
    Options
    What's the recipe ?
  • Mickey
    Options
    36onslow said:
    What's the recipe ?
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 36onslow
    36onslow Posts: 129
    Options
    Mickey said:
    36onslow said:
    What's the recipe ?
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Thanks 
    I've done 2 slow and low on my weber before I got my bge the other day and tHey didn't turn out well. I've done then before like you mentioned and we're damn good
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Going to have to try this. Does not seem like it will be as much fun, but it sure does fit the schedule of life better. 

Think I just figured out what's for dinner tomorrow night. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Mickey
    Options
    Going to have to try this. Does not seem like it will be as much fun, but it sure does fit the schedule of life better. 

Think I just figured out what's for dinner tomorrow night. 
    Does not seem like it will be as much fun???? For the extra 3 hours you are cooking ribs and life bites you in the ass you don't have burnt ribs....

• tikigriller
    Options
    Right now, I genuinely have more fun on long cooks vs faster cooks. Plus, it gives me so much more time to drink beer!!!!!  

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Mickey
    Options
    Right now, I genuinely have more fun on long cooks vs faster cooks. Plus, it gives me so much more time to drink beer!!!!!  
    Oh, bet your not Retired. Sorry, now I understand. Only time you are left alone. 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Those ribs look awesome. I have been avoiding ribs but I think I'll try this turbo method.

Doe sit work with any ribs or do I need a specific type of ribs.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Mickey
    Options
    Those ribs look awesome. I have been avoiding ribs but I think I'll try this turbo method.

I like good baby backs. 

• tikigriller
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Oh, bet your not Retired. Sorry, now I understand. Only time you are left alone. 
    It has already gotten me out of so many things I don't want to have to go and do!!!!!  It will be a sad day when she figures me out. 

Livermore, California
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great looking ribs!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • moosepro
    Options
    So I got to run home today and try these turbo ribs out. I can promise you this I will never go back to cooking them low and slow. By far the best rack of ribs I have both cooked and eaten off of my egg. Thanks for the tips
    Brooks 
    Pflugerville Texas
    Sooner Born and Sooner Bred =) 
    LBGE
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Were they less tender or about the same?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • moosepro
    Options
    A little bite off the bone but jut as tender.  cleaner cut and not mush  
    Brooks 
    Pflugerville Texas
    Sooner Born and Sooner Bred =) 
    LBGE
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Mickey said:

I like good baby backs. 
    My wife and I also like Baby Backs the best.
    I have a rack of Beef Ribs and was wondering if you think this method would work for them.
    Thanks in advance.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Next up for me - @mickey turboribs. Thanks. 

What's you recipe for a butt if you don't mind me asking. 
  • Mickey
    Options
    Mickey said:

I like good baby backs. 
    My wife and I also like Baby Backs the best.
    I have a rack of Beef Ribs and was wondering if you think this method would work for them.
    Thanks in advance.
    This is what I do: Turbo Beef Ribs 
    Indirect 350.  Pull membrane, Rub-mustard-rub, cherry wood. Used coffee rub. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Nice job on the ribs. 
    Those look outstanding. I never thought I would like them dry (without sauce) till I started doing turbo ribs and now do 100% dry holding a light sauce for dipping. 
    Ok, next is Turbo Butts and also Naked Ham. Then you will be as lazy as I but you will eat very well. 
    No more overnight cooks, night is for drinking and sleeping. 
    Must have been drinking, not sleeping, at 2:15

OP I'm with you: turbo ribs are life changing. Knocking out ribs in 90 minutes that are better than anything I can get in a restaurant is awesome. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Thanks, appreciate that @SaintJohnsEgger @tarheelmatt. I'm with you there @blind99. Nice looking cook today @moosepro. @GrillSgt @Grillmagic @tikigriller make sure you post them if you do, would love to see and hear how they turned out. 
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I just got home and realized I don't have baby backs, I have St. Louis pork ribs. These will take longer right?  I imagine the idea is still the same.   (Please tell me baby back and St. Louis are different.....I was just beginning to feel smarter)

Livermore, California
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I just got home and realized I don't have baby backs, I have St. Louis pork ribs. These will take longer right?  I imagine the idea is still the same.   (Please tell me baby back and St. Louis are different.....I was just beginning to feel smarter)
    They're close. Yes they'll take a bit longer 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mickey
    Options
    Yes they will take a little longer. 

• Luvnlife
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Not sure on timing, will let @mickey answer, as this is the only thing he cooks to time. I'd imagine a bit more time due to size and I'd still recommend bend/toothpick test. From what I understand, St Louis style is the 'cut' on spare ribs, the rib tips are removed. Either way they are definitely different from baby back ribs and are more meatier/fatter. @tikigriller