Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-Brined Turkey

Options
wbdvt
wbdvt Posts: 13
Last year was the first Thanksgiving with the Egg so I did a smoked 12lb bird which I had brined.  I wanted to do the same but could not locate a small 12-14lb bird that was not brined or otherwise injected with stuff.

I ended up with a Shady Brook Farms 14lb fresh young turkey.  However, it states it is "Basted with approximately 3% of turkey broth, salt, sugar, vinegar and natural flavoring"  I did read on the back of the label this statement: "This turkey is brined for your convenience.  For additional brining reduce the salt in your recipe by half."

So, I am looking for experience/advice with this type of situation.  Do I leave it alone or brine it like I normally would but with 1/2 the salt?

Also, I was planning to try a recipe I saw for melted butter & rub spices underneath the skin.  Is that advisable with this bird?

Thank you all in advance for reading and/or replying.

Comments

• wbdvt
    wbdvt Posts: 13
    Options
    ok, since it is close to TDay I have just decided to not brine it and trust the brine already done.  I may post the results.  I will be using Jeff Phillips lots of butter technique in a recent newsletter from him.

All the best to all that read my post.  Happy Thanksgiving...