Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hail to Carolina Q The Bread Guru!

Options
I made his bread and it is FANTASTIC. Taking it to 500° must be the answer, because this crust was unbelievable. I had to let the IT get to 206° because I needed the grandson to help take the heavy pot out of the oven and he was in a heavy computer game at the moment. Still...warm and with soft butter...OMG.

It took 5 minutes to mix and I let it stand (covered in plastic wrap with a hole poked in the center to let the gas escape) about 15 hours. I used a 4-1/2-qt. Le Creuset Dutch oven. Hallelujah!
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mighty fine looking bread. It is no doubt akin to the proverbial hippy in a windstorm.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great looking  loaf and crumb!  Great job!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Guru? "His" bread? hahahaha

I went to 500° because @SciAggie did. Never waited 15 hrs either. Nice loaf, Judy. Glad it turned out well.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @Carolina Q: I had to say 15 hours so that everyone will know you can bake it at 5 hours or even the next day, which is what I did because I mixed it at 11 PM.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks great Judy.
    How much sugar did you add?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Judy_Mayberry Very nice crumb. There are few smells better than that of fresh baked bread. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Warm homemade bread slathered with butter, is one of life's simpler pleasures.

@Carolina Q and @SciAggie have done more to up my bread game in the past 2 weeks than I had managed by myself in the past several months! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    caliking said:

@Carolina Q and @SciAggie have done more to up my bread game in the past 2 weeks than I had managed by myself in the past several months! 
    You say that as if I know what I'm doing. LOL

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    caliking said:

You say that as if I know what I'm doing. LOL
    Me as well.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Looks fantastic. My grandma used to bake fresh loaves of bread all the time and it's almost like I can smell it through my screen. Great job.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @Photo Egg: I added 1 tsp. of sugar.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @SGH: I googled "hippy in a windstorm" and still have no idea what that means. What proverb is that?
    Judy in San Diego
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options

I want to learn how to do this but never seem to get it going.  I know there are numerous topics covering bread, but is there an A-Z primer?

Strongsville, OH

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great job there Sister Judy!!  I can almost smell it!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    To you and @DoubleEgger

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I want to learn how to do this but never seem to get it going.  I know there are numerous topics covering bread, but is there an A-Z primer?

Here are two recent threads which helped me:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200526/maineggs-camp-bread

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200650/more-bread-and-some-oxtail-stew/p1

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.