Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook Help

Options
tikigriller
tikigriller Posts: 1,389
I thought I had something different. How do I cook these short ribs?  I have no clue. 

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Low and slow oak is you have it. Basic salt n pepper (little garlic powder and cayenne wouldn't hurt) tooth pic test to the finish 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tikigriller
    Options
    How long will it take approximately?  What temp approximately?

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Hans61
    Options
    I'd shoot for 250-275. It'll probably take about 5hrs...The need to probe like buttah with a toothpick before pulling

going too hot can render the bone marrow making gamey according to Franklin 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2016
    Options
    That is interesting I haven't heard of pork short ribs before.  I think these are just baby back (aka loin back) ribs with some of the loin left on them.  I think I would just cook them like baby backs.  I assume they might take a little longer due to the thickness; however they are probably smaller to begin with so I would guesstimate about the same time as regular pork baby backs.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @Hans61 -  has it covered.  Just go with the "feel" from the toothpick.  
    BTW-Life is all about the "feel" when you think about it thru a supervisory beverage clouded perspective  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing these done Tiki!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hans61
    Options
    Disclaimer: thought I was typing about beef 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Disclaimer: thought I was typing about beef 
    So do I cook them like ribs then or still stick with the low and slo?

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    Options
    For me, ribs are ribs-they all behave about the same for a given temp.  Just trust the feel  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Agree with @SmokeyPitt and @lousubcap
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I bet these will be great. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Used raging river rub.  Going to put them on at 225 for three hours, check em, if the sense says to, wrap them in foil for an hour with some butter, apple juice  and honey and let them ride for about 2 hours I am thinking, then unwrap and go to feel and then decide to sauce or leave sauce on the side.  It will al depend on how they look.  I really have no idea what we are even eating!!!  I was thinking I had ordered BEEF!

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options

Livermore, California
  • Hans61
    Options
    How'd it turn out?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Still cooking.

Just wrapped them in Foil and ramped up to 275. Going to let it go for an hour, then unwrap and see where we are at.

Going to be a late night dinner.

Livermore, California
  • Hans61
    Options
    Enjoy! I'll check back for pics in the morning :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing and seeing how they turned out! 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would have thought these would cook quicker because of the fat content. Maybe sauce them , then a quick sear at the end to get some crispy bits?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Took almost 6 hours. 

3 at 225
    1 wrapped at 275
    2 unwrapped at 300. 

Used sweet Baby rays Sauce. 

They em were a mixture of ribs and pulled pork would be my best description. They were extremely good and well worth the late dinner wait. Next time, I know to start much earlier!

thanks to all for the guidance. You were all dead on the money. 

Livermore, California
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    They look so good! Well worth the wait I'm sure, glad you enjoyed. Nice way to end the week @tikigriller
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Wow! Those look amazing!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Hans61
    Options
    Glad they were good! Nice pics
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Talk to @SRFShane about your commission because you just sold several orders of those ribs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CountryBoy
    Options
    Fine cook right there! 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great result right there.  Congrats.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Damn looks great!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    holy crap those look good.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    so you got 2 chucks for $17? Were these part of the bogo deal? Those look too good not to try

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Yes sir!!! Mighty fine!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for the words. This meal turning out was a bit of a game changer for me. Felt good with the guidance here to know I was headed down the right path once I figured out what I was cooking!  

Livermore, California