Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Tri-Tip looks like sh!t

tikigriller
tikigriller Posts: 1,389
Literrally. 

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• That image is a much better one than the mental image I have from the comment about a Kardashian and a hippo. That will be in my head for a while.
  • tikigriller
    That image is a much better one than the mental image I have from the comment about a Kardashian and a hippo. That will be in my head for a while.
    There was no competing with that one!  It's only Friday and the comment/image of the weekend contest is already over. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    SH!T? what does Shut look like

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited November 2016
    Show a sliced clip 

clip = pic .... edit
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tikigriller
    It didn't taste like sh!t. 

Livermore, California
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Shape I get you @tikigriller but that looks like a great cook! I'd say "well done" sir but looks more like "medium rare"  :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Perfect cook, supposed to taste great. Mission accomplished. Enjoy that meal dude!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Sure looked good once you sliced it. Nice work!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Try tip feast right there brother!  Great job.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Looks great. Enjoy!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    One of my absolute favorites. You recall what you paid per lb.? You Cali folk usually pay far less than many of us. Yours looks like it was of great success.......$hit eater.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tikigriller
    One of my absolute favorites. You recall what you paid per lb.? You Cali folk usually pay far less than many of us. Yours looks like it was of great success.......$hit eater.
    I do not. All I remember is going into Costco, blacking out for thirty minutes, and showing up at home with two Tri tips, 2 whole chickens, Brisket packer, New York strips, two thick ribeyes, party wings, lasagna, mac n cheese, the Thanksgiving Turkey and $312 missing from my money clip. 

Hey.....on a side note.....I bought the turkey on Wednesday....should I be freezing it until Monday and then letting it thaw for Thursday, or do you all think it will be okay just hanging out in the fridge until Thursday?  18 lb organic bird. 

Livermore, California
  • In the fridge. You wait till Monday and you'll be cooking a partially frozen bird. 
  • Looks like good ****.

I tossed a nice 2 and a half pounder in the fridge Sunday to thaw while I was out of town. Was thinking about that steak all week. Wife thought 5 days was too long and pitched it. 

Divorce is imminent.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Today is take the turkey out of the freezer to thaw for TGD, so I think you are OK. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tikigriller
    Looks like good ****.

I tossed a nice 2 and a half pounder in the fridge Sunday to thaw while I was out of town. Was thinking about that steak all week. Wife thought 5 days was too long and pitched it. 

Divorce is imminent.
    Looks like good ****.

Divorce is imminent.

Mine tossed the entire leftover flat of our brisket from Sunday.  We went into counseling on Tuesday.

Livermore, California
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Assuming the bird isn't frozen, the standard safe time in the fridge is 7 days.  Depends on the fridge itself. Mine is set to 40F, and that is the average. Up at the top, where the cold air comes out, some things freeze. Lower, more like 43 - 44. I'd be inclined to drop the fridge temp to maybe 35 for the next 48 hours. Start dry brining after that.

If frozen, start defrost now.
  • tikigriller
    gdenby said:
    Assuming the bird isn't frozen, the standard safe time in the fridge is 7 days.  Depends on the fridge itself. Mine is set to 40F, and that is the average. Up at the top, where the cold air comes out, some things freeze. Lower, more like 43 - 44. I'd be inclined to drop the fridge temp to maybe 35 for the next 48 hours. Start dry brining after that.

If frozen, start defrost now.

Thanks.  I have had it in the bottom drawer since Wednesday Evening. The bottom of the bird was still a little frozen, so it sounds like I Should be okay.  Not planning to brine. Following the Mad Max Recipe to a tee in an effort to have guaranteed success.  I will turn the fridge down tonight however.....

Livermore, California