Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey Question

Options
I plan on using Mickeys Spatchcock Turkey recipe. Is it necessary to inject my turkey?

Comments

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Necessary? No. I haven't used that recipe but I have spatchcocked a turkey and did not inject it.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• egzilla
    Options
    Thanks for the response.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I am going to spatchcock my turkey this year. My plan is to spatchcock the bird and then brine it over night in apple cider, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup honey, and 1/2 cup orange juice  (for acid and brightness). I will take it out of the brine on Thanksgiving morning, wash it off, and then let it air dry in uncovered in the fridge for 4 hours. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Regarding spatching a turkey- I have found that using a hatchet is about the easiest way to perform the surgery.  (Much more of a challenge than a chix.) Manage the adult beverages before proceeding with the operation.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.