Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to get small turkey?

Options
Ok guys, want to do a trial run this weekend before doing some smoked turkeys for Thanksgiving.

Want to find some 10-12lb turkeys for this right?

I was out of town this weekend and asked the wife to look for a smaller one while at the store, and all she was able to find were the large ones. 

She did say she saw some smaller ones in a different part of the store labeled (young turkey), but was thrown off because they were super cheap compared to the others.

Were/are these the right ones?

Thanks!
LBGE
Thomasville, GA

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    you could go with one of those or go with a turkey breast. i tend to just cook 14 to 16 pounders and stick with that cooking 2 if i need more
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would say talk to your butcher at one of your nicer grocery stores.
    Ask when they get shipments and what they have coming in.
    Sometimes the smaller birds go fast for all the people who like to deep fry them. But might need to shoot for a slightly larger size.
    There is also a big difference between smoking a turkey and roasting a turkey with some wood added for smokey flavor.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like @fishlessman idea.  I did a whole turkey followed by a turkey breast over the past weekend and there was no difference in setup.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I'm betting the young cheap turkey your SWMBO saw were what you are looking for. Here in the GWN 10 to 14# birds are often $0.99CDN ($0.74US). The more popular 14 to 20# are usually about 50cents more per pound. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    I'm betting the young cheap turkey your SWMBO saw were what you are looking for. Here in the GWN 10 to 14# birds are often $0.99CDN ($0.74US). The more popular 14 to 20# are usually about 50cents more per pound. 

Agreed.  I picked one up yesterday for practice this weekend too.  99 cents/lb.  I had to sort to find a 14 pounder as most were smaller. 
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Publix (in my area) has them for 59 cents a pound. You can literally get a turkey cheaper than you can get a chicken in there.  

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN