Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warming Drawer to hold Meat?

Options
GoooDawgs
GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
Hey guys - we're in the midst of a kitchen renovation, and I'm considering adding a warming drawer.  I'd love to be able to hold briskets and butts for hours instead of filling the cooler every time. 

Does anyone else do this?  If I can regulate it to hold at 160, is there a limit on how long I could hold something?  I seem to recall Aaron Franklin will hold briskets for up to 12 hours sometimes in his warming station. 

Does anyone else do this in their kitchen? 
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• dsmithok
    Options
    We've had one for about 30 years and wouldn't be without one.  We've never held anything for any significant length of time, but you can hold a reasonable temperature for long periods.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    We remodeled our kitchen a year ago. That was the ONE thing that I got my way on! HA! But seriously, we use it at least a couple of times per week. The only thing I would change is I wish it had true temp settings. Ours just has L/M/H so it's really kind of a crap shoot what the temp ends up being. Most of the time, low seems to be hot enough. They also seem to be pretty expensive for what you're getting in my opinion. 

The one thing we really dislike about our remodel is our drawer style microwave. We should have just put a standard one in the pantry. The drawer style heats very unevenly due to no rotisserie and the drawer height is too tempting for our toddler to mess with it. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Thanks for the tip.  Regarding hold time, I've heard 4-5 hours when you FTC, but if it's in a controlled warming drawer, is there a real limit?  Is 8 hours too long for example? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    just put a cambro behind one of the cabinet doors....

maybe?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You can hold it for many hours at 140. It will eventually degrade the texture of the meat but LA Barbecue holds for 8-12 hours and Franklin holds for many hours as well. 

My only advice is to Get a good drawer if you decide to go that route. My old one had wild temp swings and always over shot the temps no matter how low you set it. We put a better one in last year when we redid the kitchen and it is much better. Still not as good as our oven at holding low temps but we do use it quite a bit. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX