Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax won't burn long

Options
tried twice to do a long low (250deg) n slow on the minimax. Fire burned out after 4 hours.

egg was freshly cleaned filled with lump. After the fire went out I saw that the fire literally burnt a donut hole in the lump.  There was plenty of lump left over in the egg but for some reason the fire is just burning directly in the center and it's not radiating outwards. 
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    What lump were you using?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Light the outsides?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    What lump were you using?
    I was wondering about that too, centre cut perhaps?
    canuckland
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    The new char broil and cowboy. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    That char broil burns fast for me but I am in a large
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Using stock fire grate, KAB or High-Que? 
    I usually light mine in one spot (MAPP).
    Maybe try what @Lit said.
    What is your setup for L&S >>>> PS + Grid, WOO + deflector stone + grid?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • AppyEgger
    Options
    I use several big pieces of Fogo in my small and have been able to easily get 12+ hours out of one load. I mix it with BGE and it works really well.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Hmm, how big are you allowing the initial fire to get?  I had this happen to me once in a low and slow over night cook. I believe it was caused by me not allowing the fire to get hot enough before I added the deflector and closed the lid down. 
    VA Beach
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The center cut char broil is Birch. It burns a bit too rapid for low and slows. Very easily the problem. Likely burnt too rapid to ignite surrounding charcoal.
    I have a mini max too. I can keep a low and slow going 8 hrs, no problem, and still have lump left over. I have gone as far as 13 hours.
    As long as you are using char broil, you may wish to try lighting it in a couple of places when you do. Try a couple places on the outside as well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Try smaller chunks, if yours were larger. 

I found low and slow cooks do better for me with smaller lump. More contact points for the fire to travel 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I have done a couple of slower cooks with Char-Broil on the small; roughly 270*. The lump lights easy so I would expect it to ignite neighboring lump during the cook. It was mentioned to light the lump in several spots; I think it's just as easy to light in one spot and then use the ash tool to disperse the hot coals. Once the wood is converted to charcoal, it has the same BTU's per pound whether it's from birch or oak. Granted, not all of the wood is converted to charcoal in the lump making process so it's the unconverted portion that will make the difference in BTU values. Also keep in mind that wood from different species will have a different density. The Char-Boil is lighter in weight then something like oak. That said, filling a given volume (firebowl), means  it will have less BTU's.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Interesting.

I used CBCC on an overnighter with the small.  Last checked on things rolling smoothly at 260 after 0300, turned in.  Woke up to the same thing around 0800, a donut, straight down burn.  I lit it with the torch in one round spot in that same location on startup.  Internal temp was safe, but I had to stir, and open it up to get her going again.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've read about the center burn happening on the bigger eggs as well. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited November 2016
    Options
    About 25 minutes after ignition for searing a steak. No flame or sparks, just a glow of lava 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I've read about the center burn happening on the bigger eggs as well.
    About 25 minutes after ignition for searing a steak. No flame or sparks, just a glow of lava 
    No smoke either. It just burns and radiants heat in a short amount of time. Watched some YouTube videos earlier. The guy was cooking on XX and the smoke was pouring out of the egg.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Try smaller chunks, if yours were larger. 

I found low and slow cooks do better for me with smaller lump. More contact points for the fire to travel 
    That is insane. Everyone knows that smaller lump is inferior to football sized chunks.   
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't remember the last time I lit the lump in just one spot. I light it at three spots out near the perimeter and once more in the center. Large or mini egg. Regardless of my target temp, direct or indirect or any other variable. I have never run out of lump, can always maintain the desired temp and I have never had the dreaded vertical burn described here.

I have been told that I'm wasting lump with lo n slo cooks. Maybe so, but I really don't see how. Airflow is airflow and 250° is 250°. Regardless of how many spots are burning. For 250°, your one spot is simply larger than any one of my 4 spots. Until it burns out. ;) Most of my cooks are at 400-ish anyway. I'm on my third or fourth such cook now, with the same load of lump. Always lit in four spots, and there's a ton of lump left!

Perhaps it's the designer lump I have (mostly) used for the past 7 years. Royal Oak. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut